Hogue gun stock

Wachsmann

So I been looking at a Houge gun stock for a Savage Stevens build with the full length beading block. Anyone have any experience with them or comments pro/cons...? Thanks for any info.

It looks like the one that I would use is the 11117 which is for a long action savage 110.... Savage 110, 112 & 116 Top Loading Box Mag Long Action Heavy Barrel Full Bed Block Stock.

I'm changing out the barrel to a heavy varmit barrel and then would be installing a better trigger to start off with. Gun will be a 7mm REM.

I consider them just okay. I had one on a commmercial FN Mauser action with a Shilen barrel chambered in 264Win. The stock didn't cause any accuracy issues but it was heavy and tacky feeling to the touch. I don't like heavy rifles for hunting and the added weight made the rifle heavier than I care for. You could do worse as far as stocks are concerned but IMO you can do quite a bit better.

Pro : nice tacky feel does not slip in your hands.
Cons: too flexable, barrel touches stock when I preload my bipod. I even bedded the action in the stock so I would have 3/16 clearance in the forearm. I would stay away. Worth about $60 in the 700 style. I have considered replacing mine with everything from a plain Jane wooden stock to HS precision.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.