Bedding Hogue Stock

1984nitro

I have a pillar bedded hogue stock I have tried acura glass and jb weld neither stick. I had sanded and drilled little holes to help bond it, nothing. I have glassed plastic stocks before and had not problem.
What will work and stick to this stock?
Thanks
Eric

I have used Devcon Epoxy Putty before on a Hogue aluminum bedded, rubber overmold stock...
ITW Devcon | Magic Bond

I was only aiming to fill the gaps slightly between the full length aluminum bedding block and the receiver just around the recoil lug area. I used Johnson floor wax as the release agent.

I was worried about it being too brittle. But, it seems to be holding up just fine although, I haven't taken the stock off in several years.

...but, perhaps you're talking about a plastic stock chassis?

-- richard

I will have to try that. the plastic in these stock are not as big as I thought they would be. There is to much rubber if you ask me which makes it very hard to bond to. Also the plastic is very slick. I drilled a bunch more holes this time will see if it works.
Thanks
Eric

Well I went down to the local home depot, I couldn't find devcon epoxy but did find a 5min epoxy with 3500psi. I drill the stock again in the plastc area I put a couple cross holes throught the fins. This time I used the quick release and silcon lube. It worked a lot better but will have to go out and shoot it to see how good it really is.
Thanks for all the help.
Eric

That is a good thought. For now the epoxy is holding with all the drilled holes in it. But if it doesn't I will have to get some devcon and prime it to see how it works.
Thanks
Eric

I bedded a Hogue stock yesterday and just took the barreled action out of it about 30 minutes ago.

I used the Brownells Acraglas Gel.

I did drill a bunch of 3/16" holes at different angles into and through the plastic so the epoxy would be locked in place. I drilled holes at a angle just in front of the action screw through the plastic recoil lug and drilled holes completely through the plastic ribs under the barrel that are close to the action. So I ended up with at least 12 holes that the epoxy completely ran through. I also drilled 8 holes, 4 on each side at about 45 degree angles in the first two inches in front of the recoil lug.

The action and barrel came out pretty easy, I used the release agent that came with the Acraglas Gel.

With all of the holes drilled into and through the plastic I don't think the epoxy will come out or get loose.

Ya I hear ya on drilling the holes. That is what I ended up doing just like you said. I put a liberal amount of release agent on also. I even went as far as using a tooth pick to push the epoxy into the drill holes to get out any air pockets. I haven't shot it yet but will put my result when I do. Its going to be awhile seem how I have to drive 2.5 hr to shoot in here in California where I am forced to live now. :rolleyes:

Hi

drill holes , then remove desired amount of material with dremmel. then open flame burn the plastic, then add superglue. wait to dry and use devcon steel . Works like a bomb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.