Hog hunting & Hog calls

I tried one a year ago. Had a hog come in about 30 minutes after I called but I can't say if it was the call or coincidence.

Hog calling does work, absolutely. I have done it several times. We have seen hogs come running from more than a half mile away. When they come, it is amazing.

The downside is that I have also seen calling drives hogs away. For example, hogs are in the neighbor pasture and we attempt to call them and instead of coming closer, they take off the opposite direction.

The other downside is that I have watched hogs next door totally ignore the call.

We use them, sometimes, as last ditch attempts at a location before moving out.

Hog calling does work, absolutely. I have done it several times. We have seen hogs come running from more than a half mile away. When they come, it is amazing.

The downside is that I have also seen calling drives hogs away. For example, hogs are in the neighbor pasture and we attempt to call them and instead of coming closer, they take off the opposite direction.

The other downside is that I have watched hogs next door totally ignore the call.

We use them, sometimes, as last ditch attempts at a location before moving out.

That sounds more like my experience with 3D deer decoys. I've had bucks run to them, had deer run from them, and had others just plain ignore them. I have shot a few good bucks that were distracted by the decoy just long enough to get a shot off.

That sounds more like my experience with 3D deer decoys. I've had bucks run to them, had deer run from them, and had others just plain ignore them. I have shot a few good bucks that were distracted by the decoy just long enough to get a shot off.
I know that this is about HOGS.
Calling Bucks in can be a challange. Racking Antlers and Grunting can chase a younger not mature Buck AWAY.
BUT may be the choice to call in a big mature Buck!
I never called in HOGS. Found best success by baiting and timing/patterning with cameras. When someone wanted to shoot a hog and asked me-I would set them up in a stand, give them one of our Hogs rifles with a either a Day Scope or NV, then tell them the time the hogs would present the shot. They walked away with 90% success.
I am glad that some hunters have success with calling in hogs. We have a "Fox Pro" with a lot of programed calls. May try it some time. I would think that trying to call a hog in would call more coyotes in.

Yes, you can absolutely call hogs in. It doesn't work all the time, but when it does man is it wild. Here's a boar we called in

I use a call after I shoot the first one, to get them back for a second hog. It worked the last time I tried it.