Hodgon's extreme powders

With the super i was getting a consistent 2981 fps with berger 190's and only a 23" barrel. My groups were great for having a pencil thin barrel. .242" three shot pyramid group. (Any more rounds and barrel was too hot). Like I said prior, the reason I don't want to go with the super now is because I saw big velocity and pressure spikes with warmer temperatures. Gonna try Rl-17 its fast and its temperature insensitive

Glad to see this info. on SF powder.
This new info means that I have a 'SF' powder problem! Nellie (338WM / Zeiss Victory Diavari 4-16x50_with Rapid Z 800) loves the factory SF 185gr GMXs at 3,080fps.
Last June in SC I got to shoot 600yds in a farmer friends' pasture in prep for my annual CO ELK trip.

SC: 562 ft Alt. 92 Deg. F
CO: 10,000 ft Alt. 10 Deg. F

After running the Balistic Progs that considers every thing but the powder type it looks like the 185gr GMX @ 600yds will hit 7" higher in CO.
Did not get to test fire last year in CO so I have no idea what this powder will do to me.
If you have experience with the SF loads going from 90 deg. to 10 deg. (or there abouts) please give me some guesses as what I might expect. I plan to shoot a 400yd test in CO if weather ok.

But, if I can't test fire and I have to take the 600yd shot what do I add to my KY windage other than the -aim 7" low – that I will be doing already? Like maybe only aim 3" low cause of loss of speed @ 10 deg F will make it drop approx 4"????????.

With the super i was getting a consistent 2981 fps with berger 190's and only a 23" barrel. My groups were great for having a pencil thin barrel. .242" three shot pyramid group. (Any more rounds and barrel was too hot). Like I said prior, the reason I don't want to go with the super now is because I saw big velocity and pressure spikes with warmer temperatures. Gonna try Rl-17 its fast and its temperature insensitive

ive never heard of reloader powdwers being temp insensitive?

As for the CO elk hunt I reckon I would have a good load way before I went there trying to make a Kentucky hold over shot on an elk. Why second or triple guess what its gonna do. Iif your not sure about the powder use something else

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.