6.5x284 extreme powders

Gray R

Hey guys I'm getting ready to rebarrel which means redoing load work up. What I want to know is what velocities I can't expect with the extreme line of powders. I'm thinking either 4831sc H1000 or retumbo. I've searched and can't find a comparison so any experience would be appreciated. Thanks ahead

I am using H4831 Short Cut. Nosler Load manual has 53 grains as max, and Berger has 51 grains at max. I am shooting 52.8 grains with an average velocity of 2973 with extremely good accuracy. Bullet is seated 10 thou off lans. I am also shooting 130 grain cutting edge bullet, with exactly the same powder, getting 3064 average velocity with 54.4 grains of powder. That is slightly about Nosler and Begers max load, but cutting edge bullets are pretty low pressure bullets, so it is fine with them. My barrel length is 28 inches. Hope this helps!

I have a 26 inch pipe, and run 4831sc behind a berger VLD 140 at 2875fps. It will go faster, this load was most accurate. During workups I also tried Retumbo, and saw 3044fps, but not as accurate. Both loads were/are slightly above the max listed in the manual, but my COAL is longer as well.

Ok thanks guys. I was worried I wouldn't get the velocity out of the 4831sc but if I can make it up past 2800 I'm good to go. I'll try a pound of each and go with what works. Thanks!

Slightly unrelated but how do I tweak extreme spread without changing the entire load? I think based on my program of I can keep it under 25fps I'll be good to go but I've never understood how to address it.

This is a very simple, yet complicated process. If you are using a bullet like Berger VLD, which only shoot accurately within a very specific jump, depending on rifle and load, you might want to mess around with neck tension, do a primer test, or vary the powder up or down to see what happens. My 6.5 284 shoots quite good when the bullet is kissing the lans to about 15 thousandths off the lans. It shoots incredible 10 thousanths of the lans. I did a primer test to try to get my extreme spread down, ( i had an extreme spread of 22). I ended up changing my primer to a CCI bench rest and got it down to 12. If you are using Sierra or many of the other appropriate bullets for this calibre, you might try seating up or down 2-3 thousanths t see how it goes. Hope this helps.

Hi Gray, there is a lot of information in here about all three of the powders you listed. That http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/savage-111-lrh-6-5-284-loading-questions-106494/ thread is like a Wikipedia post. I started off using H4831SC with good results. My 53.0 grains is over the max load listed in the manuals but no pressure signs at 2950fps. I tried H1000 and did not see the same velocity before max case capacity and showing signs of pressure. I am going to try Retumbo when I get a chance.

My rifle likes standard 210 primers. Getting an ES around 5-7 fps. I tried 215M primers but the ES was up to 50. When I can find some 210M prmers, I will try those. I haven't tried CCI yet but with that ES, I don't have a reason to.

I guess it's just like everything else. You will have to find out what your rifle likes. With the wealth of info in this forum about the cartridge, you should find your best load very quickly.

Yeah I'm shooting 49 grains of rl-17 with a cci 200 and a 140 berger in lapua brass and it's accurate close but at 1000 it leaves a little to be desired and it's temp sensitive so I was going to try some other stuff. I've hot a pound of imr 4831 and 4350 on hand and a 1000 215s so I was going to try and find some retumbo. Basically I've finally learned enough to go for low ES and temp stability over velocity.

What length barrel do you have? A slower powder might work better for you.

I also learned that having a screamer is good out to 300 but beyond that, accuracy goes South. Having an accurate, consistent load that you can predict trajectory with is better. Took many years for that to sink in.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.