Hodgdon's "Extreme Powder" - reduce velocity variations due to temperature changes

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Hodgdon's Extreme line of powders.

In these charts, the column at the left is ambient temperature.

3006graph.gif

300winmaggraph.gif

What has your experience been with these compared to other non-Extreme powders?

Re: Hodgdon's "Extreme Powder" - reduce velocity variations due to temperature chan

Len,
Ramshot Magnum has proven to be an excellent powder for me in the 300win mag and 6-284.
Very stable and consistent.
I have also found a very large sweet spot as well.
Barnes did a test on powders and primers as far as temp stability and in the 300 win mag they too determined Ramshot Magnum was the most consistent, even slightly more so than H1000.

I know that will be surprising to many!
In fact I was thinking of starting a thread called "Why no love for Ramshot Magnum"
I think it is the most underrated powder out there.

The tests with the standard vs magnum primers also gives very interesting results.

Here's the link:
July 2010 Barnes Bullet-N | Barnes Bullets

Last edited:
Re: Hodgdon's "Extreme Powder" - reduce velocity variations due to temperature chan

When I was trying to find a load for my 300RUM, I had the load data from berger, it showed some good results with ramshot magnum powder, but when I tried it, I worked my way up to max load and even midway to max it didn't even come close to FPS and had signs of high pressure. I was not impressed and got rid of the 8lb jug. Am happy with retumbo and 180gr TTSX

Freebird,

I have found the same thing.
For the larger cases and hugely overbore cartridges, powders like Retumbo and US869 work much better .

That's why I use Retumbo for my 338 Lapua Improved . My buddy uses US 869 in his 7mmRUM.
and I will first try US869 in the 6/300win that I just have to build!

It seems that Ramshot Magnum works better in medium sized cases like my 6-284 and 300win.

I just tried it since the numbers in Quikload always worked out well with it.

I find that I can really fine tune and tighten the parameters in Quickload and pick the best powder very quickly.

I don't know about those numbers. I find the VV powders the best in a various number of calibers and guns I load for.

I did my own non-scientific test a couple of months ago with some powders.
The temperature was in the upper 80s to lower 90s and I ran my loads thru the chronograph. I then took 5 of each of the same loads that I had in a cooler with dry ice. These had been in my freezer for a couple of hours at home before I went to the range with them in the cooler. I pulled them out one at a time and shot them through the chronograph and my Retumbo loads were the hands down winner. These loads were in my 6.5X284. I had loads with Accurate Magpro, Hybrid 100V, Viihtavouri N 165 and Reloader 17. Surprisingly the Reloader 17 was the second place winner. I was just going by accuracy at 200 yards and extreme spread of the speeds. The Retumbo was 9 fps extreme spread with warm temp loads and 11 with cold loads. The Reloader 17 was 13 warm and 17 cold. All of these loads had shot good groups in the gun so they were the ones I selected for the test. It was kinda fun to see the differences. I did this over a weeks time so I know there is some variation in outside temp but overall it was pretty close. If anyone else has ever tried the freezer test I would be interested to find out your results. I am always looking for a excuse to burn more powder and lead!!!

I played with US869 and found it to be very temp sensitive. I tried it earlier this spring and at 100 yards I couldn't hit the target as they dropped so much. The temp was probably about 35 degree's

That's very interesting info
I expected it to be better after reading this Hodgdon
press release
Hodgdon US869 Powder

I use a bunch of Hodgdon powders for sure. But never believed any of their marketing hype for a second. You might notice it has no actual basis..

They make good powders that we need, but it's embarrassing how we fall for pretty much anything shoveled our way..

How did you determine a lack of "actual basis"???

Len,
I haven't tried H4350 or H4831. But I've run H1000 and Retumbo loads in 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, and .280 RCBS Improved class cartridges over the chronographs in these two extremes:
1) Rifle and ammo stored in house @ ~70F and walk out the door to fire over chronographs located adjacent to the house.
2) Rifle and ammo stored in chest freezer @ ~0 to -5F, and pulled from chest freezer and fired over chronographs.

These two Hodgdon powders showed very little difference in muzzle velocity. The H1000 in the .280 RCBS Imp MV was basically the same.

The drop in velocity when I did the same test with IMR 7828 was dramatic, in comparison. But as I stated, I haven't tried it with H4350 or H4831. It all takes time and I'm currently not using those two powders in any hunting loads.

the press release link provides temperature and velocity data

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.