Highest BC, Highest SD, Lowest CD projectiles for ELR

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Tungsten is even more difficult to work than titanium. I have tungsten tips on my hiking poles for durability in rocky surfaces. It's **** tough material. Usually tungsten is the core material in armor piercing bullets. (Unless you have a private supply of depleted uranium!;o)

The saying "Wears like iron." should be replaced with "Wears like tungsten."

Eric B.

I have been researching sintering. Most tungsten stuff seems to be sintered. What it is sintered with is the key to what the use is. Various tungsten + copper sinterings are available. The more tungsten over copper the heavier and harder.

I've been trying to workout how to make "soft" sintered tungsten or deformable polymer matrix.

The tungsten polymer with polymer against the bore concepts don't solve the "soft" problem. If it's not soft it's armor piercing. That's a no no where I live. Rather work to solve a problem than the options.

Soft and heavy. Heavier than lead. As precise as turned copper. Soft skinned like copper with hBN coating.

seaman,

If'n you ever get a bullet that meets those qualities you listed the shooting world will beat a path to your door.

+1 for HBN, the"Pixie Dust" of hand loading.

Eric B.

seaman,

If'n you ever get a bullet that meets those qualities you listed the shooting world will beat a path to your door.

+1 for HBN, the"Pixie Dust" of hand loading.

Eric B.

I don't have the machines to turn the bullets. I am working on the other parts. Maybe I can get one of the turned projectile makers interested.

I would love to have the biggest hydraulic Corbin made but not at the moment.

Hello,

Quick question in regards to "armor piercing" definition and relevance to ELR projectiles....

Here is the direct link to ATF Gun Control Act Definitions for:
Ammunition
Armor Piercing Ammunition

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-gun-control-act-definition-ammunition

So based off their own definition a "rifle" projectile in a caliber that is NOT also a "pistol" caliber then you could make that "rifle" projectile out of any material you want to, right?

Because the Gun Control Act of 1968; in which the premises of "armor piercing" bans was decided... prohibits the import, manufacture and distribution of "armor piercing ammunition" as defined above on ATF direct website.

THEIS

I live in California. They add their own restrictions on top of anything the US does.

Recently the state has been sending agents to ranges to "enforce"
the "law".
Hello,

Quick question in regards to "armor piercing" definition and relevance to ELR projectiles....

Here is the direct link to ATF Gun Control Act Definitions for:
Ammunition
Armor Piercing Ammunition

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-gun-control-act-definition-ammunition

So based off their own definition a "rifle" projectile in a caliber that is NOT also a "pistol" caliber then you could make that "rifle" projectile out of any material you want to, right?

Because the Gun Control Act of 1968; in which the premises of "armor piercing" bans was decided... prohibits the import, manufacture and distribution of "armor piercing ammunition" as defined above on ATF direct website.

THEIS

Hello,

Here is a different "Tubular" projectile design that functions with sabot instead of "pusher" as the .65 caliber functioned with.

THEIS
I would be really interested in the terminal performance of this projectile. It appears to have the potential to really mangle a critter up really bad.

I think the ultimate long range system is going to come down to smooth bore design. And then shoot tungsten darts in a sabot. Just a miniature design of the 120mm cannon on the m1a1 tank. No rifling to cut. No twist. No spin drift. No copper in the bore. With a larger bore and no rifling projectiles will go faster. Bc should be huge on the small diameter darts. The newest firecontrol system of the Abrams is still classified but the last one before it could hit accurately at 5000 meters. The new system is rumored to be accurate to if you can see it you can hit it. Anywho that is where I see long-range going. If I had the equipment I would build it myself. The smooth bore barrel would be no problem getting. But proper sabots would need to be designed. The old accelerator design concept could be redesigned to hold the dart.
Shep

My HS small bore coach was a gun nut. He spent years reloading based on the coleries of heat produce,Had a shooting lab in his back yard.Kept massive log books of everything he reloaded for some one. He had every weatherby made.First person I saw with a computer,he did drop charts for me way back when,none of my friends even had concept then of LR.He developed and produces rifles that had about the last half smooth bore,retained accuracy and could take high pressure.He had this pattened,back when.He was a real interesting guy,Dean Brennan.

Don't know how the barrel could take high pressure. The peak pressure usually happens in the first 3 inches so he still would of had the same peak pressure of a fully rifled barrel. And the last half of the barrel would slow the spin of the bullet I would think. Are you sure his barrel was smooth in the last half. A smooth front and rifled back half would fit more in line with what you state. Would be like the long freebore of a wby but way longer.
Shep

It had a relief area at smooth bore.His lab had inide bench just for testing actions with remote trigger.He was really involved in shooting but this was some time ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.