338RUM for ELR

86alaskan

I know it's not ideal for the farthest reaches, but let's put the limit at 2k. My current load puts a 300gr SMK at 2850 from a 28" 9.3 twist benchmark barrel. It appears that I can stay supersonic and within the travel of my scope for that range. Any advice as to another bullet to try or power that may give me that extra edge? I can single load, but mag length limits to 3.85in. My SMK load is shooting in the .3's loaded with IMR8133 at 3.65in.

If you want a good hunting bullet along with better BC look at the 300 grain Berger Hybrid OTM. They also have a 300 grain hunter bullet. Both would be great. And could still be used for Hunting. And both work with 1:10 twist. But if all your wanting to do is shoot target then look into the 256 Flat Line Has a little better BC then both of the Berger but since its light could be shot faster and it works with a 1:10 twist as well.

That's what I'm thinking, does the lighter weight and higher speed justify the loss in BC?

It can for sure. For what its worth the 300 OTM has a G7 of .421 The Hornady 285 ELD-M has a G7 of .417. Its not like its a big difference. BUT the difference you see could come form more speed.

If you want a good hunting bullet along with better BC look at the 300 grain Berger Hybrid OTM. They also have a 300 grain hunter bullet. Both would be great. And could still be used for Hunting. And both work with 1:10 twist. But if all your wanting to do is shoot target then look into the 256 Flat Line Has a little better BC then both of the Berger but since its light could be shot faster and it works with a 1:10 twist as well.
Just an FYI to play off this: The 300 grain SMK is a great hunting bullet, the only SMK I would recommend for such. I've killed elk and deer from under 50 yards to way past 1000 and it has performed great, and with the same muzzle velocity you get. It's a hammer! The Berger has a noticeably higher BC but after shooting both elk and deer (up close and not so up close) I think I would stick with the SMK if it is already working for you. I'm probably the only person you'll hear that from, but that's my experience after over a dozen years with it.

I have 9 years shooting 300 otm and seems as if its alot of bullet.Ive had no problems near or far,elk and moose being largest game taken.I have the itch to try the 285 eldm.

Just figured I would throw this in there. According to Bryan Litz numbers, the 285 eld-m is somewhat inflated. This is the profiles already in the applied ballistics library. I personally have no experience with these two yet, but a relatively minor difference in bc may not be overtly noticeable until ranges stretch beyond 1000 yds. And since we're talking ELR....
Screenshot_20190201-202158.png
Screenshot_20190201-202213.png

I run the 285 ELD's in my RUM and they perform quite well out to 2650. I've not taken them past that! They transition well to subsonic as I go subsonic around 2400yds. The .417 bc has proven fairly accurate in my app for dope calculations but depending on your exact speed and density altitude you may have to adjust it a few points one way or the other to get your actual dope to match up! This is true of any bullet though. And you can't hardly beat the price! Keep in mind I'm only ringing steel and not hunting but I hope your not shooting game at 2000yds anyway!

Maybe Steve (Hammer bullets) can/will/has come up with something in a high BC target bullet. But if price is an issue then stick with the cup-n-core (Sierra, Berger, Hornady) as they are going to be cheaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.