Hey Mathmatician guys!!!!!!!!

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I am curious how you decide how much MOA cant on a rail you need to get a rough zero at a given range. Like GG, you zero the MOAG at 1500yds, how did you decide what MOA rail plus rings you needed to get you out that far???

My mind is far from capable of being able to determine equations of this magnitude, if you dont believe me my wife balances the check book and I still count on my fingers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thanks
steve

lerch,

An equation could go like this:

(inches drop at range) * (100/range in yards) * 0.9551 = MOA cant needed

I've made it up into an excel spreadsheet where you can plug in the inches drop and range in yards and it does it all automatically. I'll mail it to you in a second.

* when finding inches drop base it on being zero'd at 100 yards, it will have a little error but will be fine as a rough estimate

Hope this helps.
Carl

Lerch
Do you want a rough zero optic centered?
Or max travel for scope?

Most bases come in like 10,20,30,40,50,60 or adjustable

If you know your drop in inches at x distance just convert it to MOA.

Say you have a 20 MOA bullet drop at 1K
and your scope has 40 MOA note 20 MOA useable centered

if you put a 20MOA base you would be optic centered at 1K
and could maybe zero to 100 at the bottom setting and have 20MOA to go past 1K using all 40MOA in the scope.

If you put a 40MOA base you would have max travel and not be able to zero under 1K but have 40MOA adjustment after your 1K.

You never want to use all the scope travel up because you loose windage adjustment at the extreme ends of travel.

Hope this helps
CAM

Iv youve already got a zero with a flat base, its really... really easy. I can give you walk through if you like. The thing you need to know is where in the scopes adjustment your zero is, and how many moa you need to your intended zero range. Here is a chart I made up to answer that exact question, and help folks decide what options they had with the various +moa rails on the market, and burris signature ring inserts.
shimvaluesmed.jpg

If you like give me a call and ill help you set it up... Bill may still have my #

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts