Hey you 6.5x284 guys

Varmint Hunter

I getting ready to order the barrel for my new project in 6.5x284. I am considering ordering a 29", #7 contour bbl and then adding a Vais brake. It will be hung on a 40x receiver.
Is a barrel of this length advantagous in the 6.5x284 or should I just go with a 26". Rifle wll be used for varmints @ 1,000 yards (hopefully).
smile.gif

Any opinions on the Vais brake for this set-up?

VH

I have one with a 26" barrel, and one with a 30". I'd say if you have to carry it long distances, go with a 26", but if it's only going to be a few hundred yards, get as long as you can stand.

Oh,, and unless you have some sort of shoulder injury, the break will probably not be needed. Recoil is less than a 308.

FatBoy...

Mine has a 28" PacNor .900 muzzle, heavy but shoots good... I agree with the no brake needed.

Forgot to mention; I'll be shooting it from a portable bench which I set up next to the 4x4. Not overly concerned with weight. The brake was being considered because I rarely see the hits with my 6mmAI or 22-243AI.
rolleyes.gif

Ant issue with the weight of a 29" #7 tube hanging off the 40x action? Rifle will be pillar and glass bedded. Might include bedding under a few inches of the chamber area.

VH

yes-pillars and glass-maybe bed about 1-1 1/2 in front of recoil lug[you can always take it out]-you may need it,you may not, that barrel really isnt that heavy.as far ar bbl. length goes go with the 29" tube,easier to to get around 3000fps with the 140 class bullets with less stress on the brass,as far as the brake is concerned it would depend on rifle weight,on my 15lb 6.5-284 i have no problem seeing hits,how heavy will the rifle be?-my-2-dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts