Henson .338 265gr Gen II beats the 300gr SMK again

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lightvarmint

Hello interested shooters,

This evening we had another successful test of the 265gr Gen II HATS. This time it was shot at an exact same distance that we had previously tested the 300gr SMK. The distance is exactly 602 yards.

Last year the 300gr SMK blew up on exit as indicated by shrapnel in the hide on the exit side of the animal.

Shooting stick information:

Hall Express .338 Lapua Improved (my design), 30" Hart fluted barrel with 1-10" twist, 107gr Retumbo, 7 foot drop tube (my design), Federal 215, Jewell Trigger, Nightforce 12-42x56, Kelbly rings and bases, McMillan McHale stock, Barrelled by Carolina Precision Rifles (John Lewis) and of course the .338 265gr Henson Aluminum tipped bullets by Mr RG Henson.

Today at 1710, the 265gr HAT exited the animal without fragmentation (no evidence of shrapnel on or in the hide) and blew material with hydraulic force much further (more than 8 feet) than the 300gr SMK did last year. Additionally, the wound is much more impressive with the HAT than with the 300gr SMK at the exact same distance............. Even better, the HAT has 8.4" less drop at 602 yards as compared to the 300gr SMK (as indicated on the drop test earlier in the week and the point of impact this evening). With a 400 yard zero, the HATS drop at 602 is -3.5 moa (as per the impact tonight and the drop test earlier in the week) and the 300gr SMK drop at the same distance with a 400 yd zero is -4.9 moa.

So, since the 300 grain SMK has been held as the standard and the 265 grain HATS greatly surpassed the standard both tonight on impact and earlier in the week during drop testing, we consider the .338 265gr Gen II HAT fully tested since it beat the standard significantly in side by side testing at the exact same distance and shot aspect/angles.

Finally, I took some photos of the exit wound and sent them to the bulletsmith and you can get copies from him via email.

We will be testing the .30 caliber 210s Gen IIs and 220 Gen IIs next on animals launched from a 30/378 and hopefully the 180gr .30 caliber bullets launched from the 308 Wichita Silhouette Pistol. As soon as we have some data, we will post the results.

As before if you have testing questions, send me an email at [email protected] and if you have order questions, contact the bulletsmith at [email protected].

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Lightvarmint

well here it is just what ya'll been asking for. The exit wound.
602YARDDOE.jpg

the white spot is a reflection from the light in a blood pool.
the money is for size comparison.
602 yards..................

Last edited:
Why would they be fired at the same velocity? They are two different sizes.

Steve

well I guess at this point anyone interested, including myself, should get a hold of some of these bad boys and give 'em a rip. otherwise there is not much more to debate here until we get some other people chiming in with results. the information provided here is enough to convince me to give them a whirl. besides, we all try other types of bullets in our various weapons all the time. I personally have burnt out barrels just trying to find the right combo. hope these bullets work as good for me as the picture indicates. AL

Just my spin on the subject but being a user of custom bullets and also observing the process many times it is consistency that becomes an issue with me. Most boutique makers have to buy cores or core material form a source and jacket material from another which can vary considerably from lot to lot because of the lack of testing resources to ensure otherwise. Then you get into the manufacturing process variations with how the dies are heated and the lube applied just as a partial example--- so many variables it will make your head hurt BUT that being said if you find some that shoot them BUY THEM ALL FROM THE SAME LOT!!!!!

Rocky I do not see anywhere in this thread that claims they were lauched at the same velocity. The difference in trajectory indicates that the Gen II was lauched at a higher velocity unless the BC is REALLY high.

Rocky I do not see anywhere in this thread that claims they were lauched at the same velocity. The difference in trajectory indicates that the Gen II was lauched at a higher velocity unless the BC is REALLY high.

That is my fault. I retracted my question when I thought it was being viewed as not worthy. When I read that the bullet had a much flatter trajectory at 602 yards, I wondered if it could be that the BC was that much better. Thus I asked if they were loaded to have the same MV.

I was also inquiring about the tradjectory at 1000 or 1200 yards. Again to see how the BC of the bullet performs.

My questions were not ment to be negative. I am no expert, just a hunter, and somewhat new to all this.

Thanks.

Jeff

Last edited:
WOW,RG....

That's some exit wound!...Looks like it was shot at 100 yards!

Thanks for the report lightvarmint.

Can't wait to try those 30 cal 210s.

Steve

I was able to run these up to 3400fps today in my 338AM without any problems. I forgot to confirm my 100 yard zero, but they were impacting my 800 yard target at least 2 MOA higher than the 300SMK. If my 100 yard zero is the same that would be 9.5 MOA to 800 yards. They shoot just as well as the SMK IMO, probably better. The last 3 shots I fired were 3409, 3411, and 3408 fps. I was using a single case and 11 reloadings out of Kirbys headstamped 33AM brass. I could swage the primer pocket and get more firings off that case. I would bet someone willing to push the envelope could get 3500. I worked up to 3440 but it started opening up a bit.

That is my fault. I retracted my question when I thought it was being viewed as not worthy. When I read that the bullet had a much flatter trajectory at 602 yards, I wondered if it could be that the BC was that much better. Thus I asked if they were loaded to have the same MV.

I was also inquiring about the tradjectory at 1000 or 1200 yards. Again to see how the BC of the bullet performs.

My questions were not ment to be negative. I am no expert, just a hunter, and somewhat new to all this.

Thanks.

Jeff

Broz,

Unfortunately, we have not shot the insturmental BCs over the chronographs yet because we are spending as much time in the field collecting spciments as possible. We just zeroed at 411 and then shot some at 600 to get a ballpark on the holds. When we get the BCs from instruments in January, we will post them. Drops are not the accurate way to establish BC because they also take into account conditions and firearm accuracy so they are not anywhere as accurate as the instruments.

If you want to crunch some numbers and tinker with the possibilities, here is the confirmed data we have:

Muzzle Velocity--- 3245.5

Zeroed at 411

Impact at 602 yards -3.5 moa (note this was done on the target one morning and then the next day on the deer and the impacts were the same drop values. This compares to the 300 SMK at max hunting velocity (2988.5) with a zero of 400 yards and a -4.9 moa drop at 602 yards.

Lightvarmint

Status
Not open for further replies.