.338 SMK 300gr. length?

[ QUOTE ]
I just ordered 500 of these .338 300 grain SMK's and was wondering what the OAL of this bullet is?

[/ QUOTE ]

What cartridge are you going to shoot them in? RUM/Win/???

Matt27: Thank you for the information! Roy in Idaho. I'm getting reamers made by JGS (finish and resize) for the .300 RUM case, necked up to .338 with a 35 deg. shoulder. I hate to trim brass more than once. This is going to go in several different actions if works out in the first. I going to order a BAT and have them install a 4.00" Wyatt box. I've got only one barrel blank on order so far from Lilja. I've been thinking about having him make up the tooling for a three groove one in 9.5 twist. I just want to see what this ctg is capable of before I jump in to deep. I've got and old Model 70 action (long) to try out this in first. I've got a McMILLAN stock already inletted for the .375H&H barrel and the pre-64 action so this will save me a little money. They will be (Lilja) cutting the same contour as the orginal barrel. Rings and bases I have in large supply aleady and scopes are here. So this is just a project gun to see what the rest of you folks are doing with the .338's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3six,

FYI my Dad used a 3 groove 10 twist Pac-Nor for his 338/300 WSM throated for the 300gr SMK and it's about the best bullet shot out of it. That's at about 2500 fps. I haven't even looked at the stability issue as I'm sure you have but, I will say that the 300 is still stable 100-300 yards in his, and he's shot them down to 2400 fps too.

A 9.5 twist would be safe, but after seeing this for myself I wouldn't worry about a 10 twist at all... and I never even thought about this until seeing your post here but figured I'd pass it on FWIW.

Brent Moffitt: Thank you for the input. I've got to get that quick load program. Running the Greenhill shows this length bullet good to 2800 fps with the ten twist and above 2800 the 12 twist. I just don't have a clue what kind of velo this ctg will produce out of a 26 to 28" tube. I don't think it will be much different than that .338 EDGE. And you are correct about the ten twist for it with the 300 grain SMK. I just don't know about the velocity yet. On the other hand I don't know what the real world powder capacity is like until I've got some fire formed cases using the FEDERAL brass and my three foot drop tubes for the Harrel measure. It should make for a fun project anyway.

3sixbits,

I just bought a Rem 700 LSS LH for my new elk gun when they are too far out for my 300 win mag to handle. Right now it is a 300 ultra,(anyone want a brand new .30 barrel?) but I'm going to turn it into either a 338 ultra improved, or a 338-300 ultra improved and throat it for the 225 Nosler Accubond. If I go the 338-300 ultra mag route, I would definetly need a longer magazine box so the Accubonds could be seated out farther. Tell me more about this Wyatt box. WOuld it fit on a Rem 700? Does it come with a follower? How much coin?

With the 338 Ultra improved, I wouldn't need a special box, but the version you are doing would have a little more horsepower. I can't decide! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
You wouldn't be renting out your reamer would you?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
3sixbits,

I just bought a Rem 700 LSS LH for my new elk gun when they are too far out for my 300 win mag to handle. Right now it is a 300 ultra,(anyone want a brand new .30 barrel?) but I'm going to turn it into either a 338 ultra improved, or a 338-300 ultra improved and throat it for the 225 Nosler Accubond. If I go the 338-300 ultra mag route, I would definetly need a longer magazine box so the Accubonds could be seated out farther. Tell me more about this Wyatt box. WOuld it fit on a Rem 700? Does it come with a follower? How much coin?

With the 338 Ultra improved, I wouldn't need a special box, but the version you are doing would have a little more horsepower. I can't decide! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
You wouldn't be renting out your reamer would you?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Wyatt's I think that the questions you ask are the same questions I've ask myself. I went with the 35 deg shoulder for one reason only and that to stop the growth of the brass in length. Trim once and never again! I do think that with a three groove barrel and the increased capacity with the 35deg shoulder more velocity would be possible over the .338 EDGE, but I wonder if that is as much of a benefit as it would seem on the surface? I do know that the REMINGTON action has to be modified to take that long of a box, just like the BAT will have to be modified. The max length the stock box allows is around 3.600" the Wyatt's box allows for a little over 4/10" more length. I don't think you would need that for the 225 grain Accubonds bullets., but I don't know. The neck on this necked-up RUM case looks none to long as it is so just how much you gain in the chase of the eroding throat by seating long it is just a guess with such a short neck. I would rent after I do a few barrels and dies first on the reamers., but that won't be anytime soon. The link I've sent is for the mag box and you will want to e-mail your questions to him. Best of luck with your project, I think it will make for a good long range hunting ctg. I would buy the best barrel blank you can afford for the project and do the Greenhill formula to figure the twist you need for that 225 grain bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tell me more about this Wyatt box. WOuld it fit on a Rem 700? Does it come with a follower? How much coin?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will require machining the rear of the mag well all the way back to the rear of the middle gaurd screw hole when using Wyatt's real long box. Ejection port lengthened and bolt stop shortened.
It comes with a follower.
The 4" OAL cabable with the new box is great for the big 338's.
They run around $35 if I remember correctly.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.