Henson .338 265gr Gen II beats the 300gr SMK again

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the testing go with the .30 cal bullets? I'm interested in running some through my 30-378 accumark. Are they available to the public yet?

DD,

Glad to hear back from you. We shot the 180s in a factory 300 Wig Mag and harvested a couple of does with very good performance out of the bullets. However, since we last conversed a new and improved .30 caliber die has arrived and is currently in use for .30 caliber bullets larger than 180 grains. Basically, the new die eliminates .090" major diameter bearing surface as well as having a lower drag profile for the exact same weighted bullets. With the lesser bearing surface, it allows for a pinch more powder in the case and the lesser amount of drag results in a somewhat higher BC potential.

I completed the pressure testing on the 210s the other day in my 30/378 (double radiused shoulder) and will be performing some group testing on both them and the 220s tomorrow (if the new shipment of bullets arrive on time).

Additionally, the .338s are interesting as well as they bump the performance level of a .338 Lapua Improved to the level of a cheytac-based case (when the much larger case is shooting the industry standard 300gr SMK using 30%-40% more powder) with 30" barrels. However, they are not nearly as appealing (in my opinion) as the .30s. The new (Gen II) .30s in 210 grains should eclipse the highest BC .30 caliber production Sierra bullet of any weight by 30%-35%. With that being said, the 220 grainer would even be higher in the BC department.

I will keep you and the readership informed as the information and data become available. Right now we are more interested in getting some additional terminal tests performed vice instrumental testing since our hunting seasons end in both SC and MS soon.

Just as a suggestion, you might want to start looking for a 1-8" twist barrel for these highly impressive 210s and awesome 220s.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Lightvarmint

What would be the best choice for a factory 300 Weatherby? (1-10" twist I think)
Would it push the 210s fast enough to stabilize? Any chance I could get a couple to find out?

What would be the best choice for a factory 300 Weatherby? (1-10" twist I think)
Would it push the 210s fast enough to stabilize? Any chance I could get a couple to find out?

Tyler,

The 180s are the only ones currently that will work in the 1-10" twist. We have already tested the 210s in several different rifles and they did not work. Using the casing you are discussing, you won't be able to push them fast enough. Now the 180s are .711ish on BC and that basically matches the 240 SMK.

Lightvarmint

Tyler,
I will send you a few 180s to try if you will let me know how they shoot in that old gun. Remind me next week and I will try and get them out.......you know how my memory is.

Tyler,

The 180s are the only ones currently that will work in the 1-10" twist. We have already tested the 210s in several different rifles and they did not work. Using the casing you are discussing, you won't be able to push them fast enough. Now the 180s are .711ish on BC and that basically matches the 240 SMK.

Lightvarmint

Status
Not open for further replies.