Help with new rifle

Archer357

Hi everyone,
Got to the range today to break in my new AR10. Palmetto state armory PSA10, 20 " barrel, 308 win, 1-10 twist.
Shooting Federal American eagle 308 win, 150 gr FMJ BT.
So, after 10 shots, cleaning after each shot, the 11 round the bolt would not close all the way. Had to hit stock on table to get bolt to open with live round. Looked everything over did not see anything wrong . Next round same thing. Loaded one round in magazine and pulled charging handle back all the way to let bolt load round. Hitting bolt assist still would not close bolt. Side note , all spent brass have rings all round brass. Anyone have any ideas? I stopped shooting and went home .

Attachments

• 5026E049-3C00-4535-A285-668574A94F5D.jpeg
    5026E049-3C00-4535-A285-668574A94F5D.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 267
Man, it sucks when new stuff doesn't do what we think it should. I have very limited experience with these platforms...
Certainly some of the people who helped me will chime in...
Meanwhile, that looks like a VERY rough chamber. Can you see in there ? Maybe take it apart and feel the chamber walls with a bent paper clip or something. Do you have a bore scope ?
The shoulder looks beat to crap, too. Is it?

Hi, I will have to check chamber with something tomorrow. Looking at it the best I can, no bore scope, looks like there are rings in chamber. Shoulder is not bad. Thanks for the ideas.

Agree with Gregg C. Pull the rear pin on the upper and open it up. Remove the bolt carrier group and look for rough finish or brass build up in chamber. If it looks good, lightly slip some live ammo, from same stuff you were having problems with, into chamber lightly and see if it hangs up. Could be ammo, but I'm leaning towards a rough chamber, debris in chamber.

the ring marking on the brass, do they go all around, or just along one side? my guess, if they go all around, then rough chamber.

but if they're just on one side, I've seen markings like that due to a sharp bevel at the edge of the feed cone, entrance to the chamber. probably on the bottom edge, although it could be the top. depends on how the round comes off the mag and gets launched up the feed ramp into the feed cone to settle into the chamber.

but check for a sharp edge, bevel at the feed cone. might see a lot of brass scraped off at the edge, witness marks.

just my 2 cents.

Just curious, is the place circled in red a dent?
The green circle looks like little dings there. That's a pretty tough place on the case. And the white looks like brass has been sheared off, at least to my feeble axed mind.
Screenshot_20220806-182529~2.png

Did you happen to clean the chamber/bore before firing a shot at all? Wonder if it had machining chips left over in the chamber? Otherwise, I agree ucsdryder, someone let a ruffed chamber through quality control before it could get to the finishing reamer.

Send it back to PSA and have them look at it. It won't cost you a thing but the time it takes to drop it off. I had an issue with a 300BO upper I ordered from them, and that upper has a brand new barrel on it now.

That was the first issue I have ever had with something from them, but everyone will have something not so great slip through from time to time. They also took care of the issue without me having to make a lot of noise.

I have same AR. I have had no problems with mine. Definitely looks like very rough chamber issue. Call Palmetto and send back.

Not quite sure if that rough chamber is actually your rifles only problem. Take a piece of 320 grit silicon carbide paper about 3 inch long by 2 inches wide and fold it in half, so it's 1" wide by 3" long, with the grit side out. Now, slip that 320 paper, thru a 22 cal patch holder. Then put a couple short segments of cleaning rod in a variable speed drill chuck, enough to make er thru the upper to the chamber. On low speed in a minute or two, that chamber will have a nice polish. Put 1 more flannel cotton patch in the the holder with a bit of Flitz metal polish on patch, all polished up, faster than a trip to UPS, to return it. Good luck