Help with MOA

Jscrapmetal

Trying to understand MOA. When I plug my info in a BC calculator in inches my drop at 500yds is -34.37. When I do it in MOA it's -6.57. My scope is 1/4in at 100. I just can't figure this out. Any help would be great.

Trying to understand MOA. When I plug my info in a BC calculator in inches my drop at 500yds is -34.37. When I do it in MOA it's -6.57. My scope is 1/4in at 100. I just can't figure this out. Any help would be great.
The drop in inches is the vertical distance at the target the bullet drops due to gravity during flight. The drop in MOA is the angle corresponding to that drop. Your scope reads angles not distances, so you need an angular value of the bullet drop.

The drop in inches equals the angle times the range. Remember that 1 MOA = 1.047 inches per hundred yards (IPHY). Your range is 5 x 100 yards, so
Drop (inches) = -6.57 x 1.047 x 5 = 34.39 inches (there is a small round off error).

You should make up a target at 100 yds to check your scope for actual correction vs stated correction.
Hours vision sells a callibration target. However you can make your own. If your scope is in true 1/4 inch corrections the further you shoot the more error you will experience. Once you know exactly what your scope turrets correct to you put that in your ballistics calculator and it should give you the correct number of clicks.
https://www.horusvision.com/cats.php.
Here is a video explaining minutes of angle. This should help you get a better understanding of how it works

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.