HELP W/ 300 RUM LOADS

what game will you be hunting and how far? I have worked up loads for my 300 RUM all the way from the 125g BT to the 220g SMK. I used H-1000 for my powder of choice and have been quite happy. My favorite load is 92g H-1000, 200g AB, Fed 215, 3.660". Good for 3100fps and 1/2 MOA to 800 yards most the time. A good whitetail load I had worked up around the 150g CTBT. IT was 105g of H-1000, Fed 215, 3.660", 3650fps, and usually better accuracy than my 200g load, even out to 800 yards. For A coyote load you could not go wrong with the 125g BT at 3950fps. It will vaporize a milk jug at 100 yards, imagine what it would do to a yote????

Are you hunting or shooting targets. It just depends what you want in a load and what your shooting with it. I want to shoot the heaviest bullet I can, whereas you may be looking for speed with a lighter bullet. I have only used retumbo in my ultra, so my only suggestions may not be too helpful. I had the best accuracy with around 90gr ret with a 210 berger. I don't want to shoot a deer with the berger though so I shoot the 220 MK with 89.3 grains. Gives very close to the same accuracy. I could not get the 200 accubond to shoot as well in my gun. I got up to about 93 grains with it. A lot of people like the 180 accubond or 178 amax. Don't know if that was much help.

If your wanting a long range load, skip the light stuff and go straight to the 200 gr+ bullets. I'm currently working on the 240 SMK. It looks like 85 gr of Retumbo is the load I'm going to try. Should be around 2850 fps. Not that fast, but I think the ES and SD are going to be close to nothing and the accuracy will be .5 MOA. I'll let you know what if find out!!

I am shooting Barnes triple shock 168grn out of my rem sendero. I bedded the factory stock and replaced the trigger with a Rifle Basix trigger. The rifle shoots 1/2 moa with those bullets pushed by 92grn of Retumbo. I don't remember off hand what the velocity is. I also tried 165 grain Swift Scirocco's and could not get them to shoot sub moa groups. Have not tried heavier bullets.

<< It will vaporize a milk jug at 100 yards, imagine what it would do to a yote????>>

Worse yet....IMAGINE...what it's doing to the throat of your barrel!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I only load tested 2 loads of 3 rounds each, so 6 shots to find a 3/4" load at 100 yards. Then I loaded up 10 shells. Never did find a yote to shoot at, and to tell ya the truth, I never wanted to feed it a steady diet of them. Just wanted to work up a quick load. A barrel burner for sure. That 150g at 3650fps is a burner as well. I love to try all sorts of bullets is all.

The best load for mine is 95grs reloader22 178gr amax seated in the lands shoots 3340fps.

bill, keep us posted on the 240 smk results.. very interestig and I´m also planning to shoot heavy for caliber bullets with my rum... when it arrives.

sorry bill, me again. What is yours 300 rum twist? i still have to build it and am planning on a 1/10 for the 200 + grainers.

It's a 10 twist. I'm going out Wednesday morning to try the 85 gr load. I'll let you know what she does. If I kill my deer early in the season, I'm going to try the big 240 grainer out on a doe. Going to need a little time to verify the drops though.

I will give you the executive summary---I have a SG&Y 300 RUM with a 25 inch Shilen and a SG&Y Brake and a Shilen Trigger. II know about the barrel length thing but this is a rifle that will be carried some in the field even with the 5.5 contour barrel. Now I have tried the 190 and 200 SMK and the 190 or 185 Berger with win mag primers with all bullets seated out to magazine length. I tried over 60 different powder bullet combinations at 300 yards using the same rest with a different top that I use in competition (Bald Eagle) and got 5 shot group sizes from 2 inches to 4 inches. Hunting season started in Texas and I did not have time to start over with the Sierra 200 gr btsp hunting bullet so I loaded 20 with 93.0 of H1000 and took them with me to the ranch. At 100 yards because we had some equipment parked in line with the 300 and 600 range it put after 2 shots to set the zero 3.1 inches high for a 300 yd zero I fired a 5 shot group---all 5 went into .41—the best I have ever shot with a hunting rifle with hunting bullets!! It will be scary to tweak this and see what it can really do but it is good enough for me!!! I am done with this rifle.

IT WAS ALOT OF HELP TRYED LOTS OF DIFF. POWDER STARTED USING RETUMBO FOUND SOME PRETTY GOOD LOADS= FED 215 93.5 RETU. 180gr SEIRRA SPITZER 3-SHOT .489 FED 215 94.gr RETU.180 gr BARNES "XCL"? (I THINK)3-SHOT .427 AND FED 215 94.gr RETU. 190gr SMK 3-SHOT .388 THANKS ALOT KEEP IT COMING

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.