Help on selecting a new rifle

Backr

Hey Everybody,

I am currently shooting a 700 sps tac .308 with some modifications and am getting great accuracy and consistent hits out to 1000, I am wanted to step up to a 300 win mag now to get out a little bit farther more easily.

Now on to the question, I have always had great accuracy with the 700's and am now debating on either getting a 700 long range in 300 win mag, or spending the extra money for something like a Christensen arms. the budget is about 2000 dollars and I already have good glass, so would you guys recommend getting the 700 long range for about 700 dollars and using the rest of the money for some mods such as trigger/brake ext. or just buying a Christensen arms thats essentially already set up more for 2-3 times the price?

Thanks in advance, other recommendations always welcome as well.

Since you're already willing to drop over 2k on a rifle I would build one to the exact specs you want. You can shave a few $bucks shopping the classifieds. I like the looks of the Christesens but don't know if I'd like the stocks, furthermore I don't know what kind of accuracy to expect. ON the other hand if you're searching for light weight it is hard to beat their prices. Again I don't know what their accuracy is... sub moa is not much of an advertisement here and esp if you're pushing it to 1500yds, but I can almost guarantee a custom barrel on a custom action built by a solid smith should shoot 1/2moa or better.

As long as you have the funds, I'd opt for the Christensen Arms ELR i .308 and whatever glass you currently own and are satisfied with.
You can begin with a 700 (as a lot of us have) and work it into a custom build that you like but, in the end, you'll have a lot of money invested in an excellent but not quite superior rifle.
Spend the money once - and go hunting.

Remington also has a $150 rebate on most models for the next little while.

I am not a Remington fan boy, but I couldn't pass up a deal a few days ago.

Buds has 300RUM Long Ranges on sale for $556. Less the $150, and I have a new Remington LR for $406.

With your budget though........

Remington also has a $150 rebate on most models for the next little while.

I am not a Remington fan boy, but I couldn't pass up a deal a few days ago.

Buds has 300RUM Long Ranges on sale for $556. Less the $150, and I have a new Remington LR for $406.

With your budget though........
406 bucks for a new 700 LR? I might be $406 poorer today. mtmuley

I've seen an ad for the 308 5r $648 after rebate. I thought that was a steal and I'm still biting my tongue.

Buds is listing it as an "SPS LR" and SPSs are excluded from the rebate, but the part number that they are selling is the normal LR part number. So I bought it assuming everything would go fine.

This would be hard to beat.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110BAStealth

Otherwise, I would build.

Bighorn action so barrel swaps will be easy like a Savage, but 700 footprint for stock options.
Top notch barrel like a Krieger, Bartlein...

That gets you to $2k, for a little over $200 you can get a number of heavy, stiff stocks or if you want it to be light the Magpul is actually supposed to be pretty good. Then upgrade to a Manners, McMillan, or chassis when your budget allows.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.