Help on dating these primers

DuckHunt

Bought the primers on the right from Powder Valley in 2021 and they have a numerical "impression" on one side - 2701. The primers on left I traded for and they have no marking that might help indicate an age at all. Any ideas?

Attachments

• primers.jpg
    primers.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 103
Bought the primers on the right from Powder Valley in 2021 and they have a numerical "impression" on one side - 2701. The primers on left I traded for and they have no marking that might help indicate an age at all. Any ideas?
I bought some Rem 9 1/2 also at a auction & was wondering how old they were. I figured at $36.95 for a 1,000. They are probably right before the Chinese sniffles. They have a bar code but I couldn't determine what the date was. So hopefully we can get some one to help us out.

I have both, I "THINK" emphasis on "think", the lighter coler is from late '80's early '90's and the other are around Obama's presidency. My memory might be failing me.

Both look recent enough that I would just shoot away. Would not use them trying to find an accuracy load, as who knows what you will have with the next box. But for general use where you already have an accurate load, or just don't care so much, they should be fine. I used to like to buy primers by the brick, then by 5 bricks during Obama scare. Its nice during the life of a given pet load to never change lots. Now days, such behavior can no longer be sustained.

unless you are having piercings on the edges with gas leaks burning holes in your bolt face.
Back in the 70's, a lot # of 9 1/2 primers pock marked my Remington 600 Mowhaks bolt. Still have the rifle in 243 Win.
3RingsOfSteel.JPG

Over the years had other defective primers. Federal & last year WSPM. Defects happen to all.

1970's vintage is my guess.

Last edited:
My best GUESS would be that they date back to late 80's maybe early 90's . I bought a brick that looked like that from a dealer in 92 or 93 when there was a shortage and I was caught with my pants down. What I can't say is how long the dealer had them on his shelf.

From the look of those bolt faces I'd say, and I'm no expert, loose primer pockets, or undersize primers? Definitely a gas leak. Kinda 6 of 1 and a Half dozen of the other. My bet would be the latter, undersized primers. I've never experienced it but I suppose it would be possible with worn machinery running one lot of primers and retooled machinery running another. I've always had good luck with CCI, Winchester LRP, and Remington. Federal, while they make decent ammo I tend to stay away from their primers. Cups are softer and running high-pressure rounds doesn't make for a great combination. I will not use Federal ammo or reloaded ammo using their primers in my AR! Just cautious and not a big fan of "slam fires". In my earlier days, I did use Federal primers in most of my hand loads. It wasn't until I started having blown primers in a 22-250 that I started wondering what the heck was going on? Even when I backed off my charges, increased "bullet jump", double checked neck tension and thickness it was still touch and go. More recently I got another 22-250 and came up with 2 pet loads using Barnes 40-grain bullets over 40.5 grains of CFE-223, Winchester LRPs, and Hornady brass. I'm getting 4,250 fps, according to my chronograph, replicating the Hornady factory loads of the same weight. For a little more reach I like Berger 52-grain fbhp's over 36 grains of IMR 4166, same primer, PPU brass. I'm getting 3,850 fps. No problems until I got ahold of some Federal primers. I started working up loads using all the same components and never even came close to the same velocities before I started experiencing the same old problems. I might use Federals in shotgun and lower-pressure revolver or pistol loads, but I just want to keep it simple so I don't use them at all anymore. As for Remington, I'm using 6 1/2s in my 17 Fireball with no issues. I'm still in the process of working up a "pet" load so time will tell. Never bothered trying 9 1/2s in the 22-250 since I'm getting good results with Winchester.

There should be a lot number somewhere on the package. I've never bought primers of any brand that were not marked. And while I haven't heard of everything, I've never heard of fake primers from Wish or Temu... although I guess it's possible!

The numbers are lot numbers, not dates. The only way you can find that out is to contact Remington. Personally, I'd pop a couple off (just the primers) and if they work I'd load a couple of rounds and if those worked ok, wouldn't worry about their age. Unless they've been exposed to a lot of moisture they're probably fine. I definitely wouldn't start them on a max load without making sure, tho!
Cheers,
crkckr

These marks below on my bolt face are caused by defective primers 'pinholing' on the radius of the primer cup, which is totally visible in the pic of the offending primer.
This was the very first 3 shots fired on a brand spanking new REM 700 LR in 300WM…Winchester accepted fault and replaced the bolt. I also had the 1,000 primers replaced.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20191030-170417_Gallery_5531.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20191030-170417_Gallery_5531.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191030_172935.jpeg
    20191030_172935.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32