5.56 primers HELP

poke_53

What do you all think about these primers? I am shooting this out of a 5.56 noveske upper that is 14.5". This is 2 different 5rd loads. These are loaded at 23.4gr and 23.7gr of AR Comp under 75gr Hornady BTHP. The load data on Alliants site states 22.1 for 77gr SMK. Average velocity is 2703 at 23.4 and 2774 for 23.7. These are seated at mag length. Do these primers look OK or do I need to back it down?

7cf05905.jpg

4f763a4b.jpg

de8379e1.jpg

Hi how's it goin ? Now I'm not an authority on the subject but I have loaded a lot of 223 . I honestly wish my primers looked that good . I've gotten away with loading the same brass several times and when my charge was too hot it'll either split on the mouth of the case or I've even had my primers blow completely out of the case. Which on an a.r. platform can be problematic. This sight has a technical link I heard about that'll help should a problem happen. They do shoot great when you load em to the nuts though!

The only thing I see that might be a little off is firing pin depth causing them to slightly crater, and this usually happens when under pressured. Also try 450s or 41s.

That's where I'd start. Everything I've done is trial and error so I'm by no means a professional . But it sounds like you need a tougher cap. Are they loose when you press in the primer? It should take a fair amount of force to get them in.

Those primes look pretty good considering the mixed head stamps that I think would very in case capacity causing mixed primer performance. Just my 2 cents. In the end it's your rifle and every rifle is different. Sooner or later when you run close to or above a max load without all factors being consistent you may get a surprise.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.