Help finishing my build

alloutsmith3

OK guys, I'm looking for opinions on finishing my semi-custom Savage 10FP in 308 with 22" heavy fluted barrel. The rifle needs to be a triple threat of hunting/tactical/target. I'd like to stretch the tactical/target aspect to 800-1000yds and the hunting aspect to 500-600yds max depending on the game being hunted. So far what I've done is HS Precision Pro-Series Varmint stock, JP Enterprises Tactical compensator, Dark Eagle Customs bolt handle, 10rd mag and extended mag release, EGW 0 MOA scope rail, UTG Heavy Duty QD rings anf Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 scope.

What I'm planning on changing is to a EGW 20 MOA HD scope rail, Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 with MOA reticle. I also want to change the recoil lug and change the barrel to a 24" heavy fluted barrel.

Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Here's my two cents...

Stock
The HS Precision Varmint is a nice stock. Consider adding an adjustable cheekpiece. Defense Edge makes one:

Defensive Edge Products

Karsten makes a nice one too:

Kydex Adjustable Cheek Rest, The Original : US Armorment, The Art & Science of Shooting. Shop For Shooting Supplies, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes, Gun Parts & Accessories

Adjustable cheekpiece is important in order to achieve proper eye alignment with scope.

Consider having the action bedded into the stock.

Trigger
Did the rifle come with an Accu-Trigger? if it did, shoot it with that trigger until you can save up for a Jewell. Two friends of mine have had Rifle Basix triggers and both of them had the triggers fail (they seemed to seize up). One friend sent the trigger to be repaired by Rifle Basix. It failed again. My other buddy threw the trigger away and just went straight to the Jewell. I have Jewells on my tactical/hunters. They are awesome!

Barrel
Given that you want to shoot targets/tactical to 1000 and hunt to 600, don't change your barrel. 22" barrel will provide you with plenty of velocity to go those distances (going to 24" barrel will only add ~40fps). Just make sure you choose a high BC bullet and push it as fast as you can (think 190Berger VLD with a stout load of H4350). Also, with the 190Hunting VLD you can use it for both hunting and targets.

If you want to rebarrel the rifle, then 'upgrade' the chambering to something like 260Remington. With the 260 you get MUCH better BC bullets AND you can shoot them a lot faster. (My tactical hunter is a 260 http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/)

Magazines
Glad you have a 10 round detachable mag. Get another one and two five round mags. Depending on the situation, having 5 and 10 round mags is a good thing.

Optics
Vortex 6-24x50 with MOA reticle and MOA adjustment is a good optic and will do everything you want it to do.

Rings and Rail
With a 308 you will definitely need the 20moa base. EGW makes a nice base - good choice.

Rings - I tend to lean towards lighter weight rings, but the ones you have chosen are nice.

Bipod
Get yourself a Harris bipod. the 6-9" that pivots with notched legs is the one to have to start with.

Rear Bag
Make one, buy one, just be sure to have one. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just functional for all the things you want to do. Mine came from Dog-Gone-Good (http://www.dog-gone-good.com/) it is the "holland field bag" size 2x3x4. Although they show it in camo, they will make them in other colors too (tan, OD, black)

Does that help?

Open the rail screws up to 8's, and bed the new rail.
The Sightron has nicer glass for just a tad more $.
Bedding.

Here's my two cents...

Trigger
Did the rifle come with an Accu-Trigger? if it did, shoot it with that trigger until you can save up for a Jewell. Two friends of mine have had Rifle Basix triggers and both of them had the triggers fail (they seemed to seize up). One friend sent the trigger to be repaired by Rifle Basix. It failed again. My other buddy threw the trigger away and just went straight to the Jewell. I have Jewells on my tactical/hunters. They are awesome!

You will have to save up a long time for a Jewell trigger, they don't make one for a Savage. The RB Sav-2 is a great trigger, the Sav-1 is no better than a factory 3 screw trigger neither is the Timney, I have used/tried all of them. Best bet if you only have a hundred bucks to spend is the SSS trigger.

If you are on a limited budget use your money on ammunition and practice. That will get you much farther than "bolt on" accessories.

Bob

I've had the Vortex and a new Sightron on my FCP-K in .308 and would have to give the Sightron the nod. New reticle is awesome and I think the glass is better. Hard to wrong with either one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.