Help Fine Tuning 6BR

.006 isn't really that much. Load a couple of dummy rounds, and after the rifle is dirty, chamber and extract them a few times to see if the bullet moves. Take some measurements before and after each time. I don't think you'll have a problem, but you never know. How much neck tension do you have? And you're welcome.
I run .0015 neck tension right now.

I'd give the dummy rounds a try. I shoot bench rest matches with a 6x47 Lapua that likes .012 jam. I learned my lesson during the sighter period, ran out of time with a chambered round, and stuck the bullet in the barrel. Now I leave the round on the feed ramp and the bolt open until the target is back up and I'm ready to shoot. I've never shot PRS so I don't know the course of fire and if that would be possible to do or not.

Last edited:
I just watched some PRS stuff....interesting. Only thing I wouldn't like is my Lapua brass going everywhere.:oops:
One of the other members of your squad is always there to pick up as you shoot....Hopefully. Dumping powder in your chamber is no fun and while the jam may not be for that particular sport, I will definitely explore it some more for hunting, etc. Thank you again for opening my eyes to some new ways of looking at things!

Rflshootr: Why are you not happy with under a quarter MOA at 200 yds? Because your best group opened up 0.065"
The gun seemed far more consistent at the faster load as well.

Last edited:
Rflshootr: Why are you not happy with under a quarter MOA at 200 yds? Because your best group opened up 0.065"
The gun seemed far more consistent at the faster load as well.
Well unless I'm looking at it wrong, the 2 different posts of targets show that the 30.8 load was less consistent then the 30.0 load. I've looked at the pics a couple of times, and the 30.0 looks much more consistent to me. Now I'm trying to tune his powder to get the tiny bit of the vertical out. I like my rifles to shoot as good as they can.....not just "that's good enough". I'm almost sure jraulsten would like to be able to shoot dots @ 200 if the rifle is capable.

Well unless I'm looking at it wrong, the 2 different posts of targets show that the 30.8 load was less consistent then the 30.0 load. I've looked at the pics a couple of times, and the 30.0 looks much more consistent to me. Now I'm trying to tune his powder to get the tiny bit of the vertical out. I like my rifles to shoot as good as they can.....not just "that's good enough". I'm almost sure jraulsten would like to be able to shoot dots @ 200 if the rifle is capable.
The way I saw it, the spread at 30.8 over all depths was significantly smaller than at 30.0. Maybe I missed something but it looked like the gun wants more powder. And the slightly larger group is within a margin of error. Sometimes we chase our tails in quest of the 1 holer...

Randy, I have Berger 95 & 105 VLD's and a pound of H335.....mind if I ask where you got your data for H335 or what you're load is for the 105's?
Hello, sorry I just seen this post, been chasing my tail lately.

I've been shooting 6BRs for 30+ years. It's been one of my go too powders for years.

Not sure where I got the data from. PM me and I will share.

I would consider trying different neck tension with your best load. You said you use .0015". Try .001" and .002"

Also try different amounts of action screw torque with best load to see if you can tighten the groups. This may surprise you. My 6 BR and 30 BR showed a preference for a specific torque.