HELP!! Digital scale question

JARHEAD1371

I recently purchased a Cabelas XT-1500 digital scale. I set it up yesterday and started measuring some powder. The scale seems to weigh powder irregularly. I put the pan on the plate, turn the scale on, and allow ample warm up time. The problem is when I add powder and try to get a perfect weight, when I add small ammounts of powder the scale doesn't change or changes alot. Once I get a solid weight, I'll pull off the pan wait a few seconds and put it back on the scale. Most times I'll get a different weight than before, sometimes as much as 1-2 grains but mostly less than .5 grain. Since I am a perfectionist, this is unsat. Is this normal for a digital scale? How do you guys get a good reading? Any help is appreciated.

I'd take it back.

I've used digital scales where I used to work, and they should be so sensitive you should have to turn your head so your breathing doesn't interfere.

This is not normal for a digital scale. Is there a calibration procedure for the scale? Before sending it back, I would try weighing in a different place (friends house), just to check if the voltage source is the issue. Some people have found that having fluorescent lights on the same line can cause erratic operation.

Is playing around a little doesn't have any effect on the problems, then I would send it back.

"I've used digital scales where I used to work"

Yeah, me too. But they cost several hundreds of dollars, or many hundreds. The are a lot different from the low cost (cheap?) reloader type scales. And any sensitive scale is affected by air currents.

Actually, I'm retired from defence/space electronics with precision measurement instruments. Worked on a few electronic scales. They are great IF they are well made (expensive) AND are checked periodically, like every 4 months to a year at most, by a qualified tech with the right tools. Grocery and drug stores have calibration techs visiting them on a regular basis to confirm that their EXPENSIVE digital scales are accurate and fix or replace them when they are not, you can see the latest certification sticker somewhere on them. I don't need that hassle at home so have no use for a finicky digital powder scale.

Been reloading since the mid 60s. Have used the same beam scale the whole time and it's still as accurate and sensitive as when it was new, every time. It follows a trickler in real time, no hang-ups. No "warm up" time, no constant re-zeroing and/or calibration, no worries about drifting line voltage or stray electronic fields from cell phones, flourescent lights, or ducks flying the wrong way, etc.

I find it VERY hard to understand how so many folk can love digitals because they are "faster". In my most fluent Latin, I say, "Huh?"

Sorry Marine, I can't answer your question. Those who get "good" digitals love them, perhaps rightly. But those who don't, have a different view. Can't gage how they are split up today but I KNOW the digitals won't last nearly as long as a beam.

If a beam scale is properly placed (near eye level and close to the powder dispenser and trickler) they are virtually as fast to use, especially so for accurate weighing but with total reliability! Seems most of those who "hate" beams are simply setting them down on the bench top and then complaining about how hard it is to read them! Improper scale placement is NOT the instrument's fault, is it?

Last edited:
I have a Lyman digital scale. Used it for a while. Got tired of constantly recalibrating, warming up, breathing in the right direction, etc. Even then, when I checked the loads against my RCBS beam scale, there were discrepancies. I am back to weighing by hand with the beam scale. It is at least as fast if not faster when all the wrangling is taken into account.

I say get your money back and put in on the RCBS ChargeMaster. I am one of those scale techs that goes to factories every month, 3 months, 6 months, etc., and recalibrates and recertifies the customers scales. Yours is not accurate, repeating or dependable.
I calibrate, repair and sell high precision lab balances that cost thousands of dollars. Trust me when I say the ChargeMaster is good.

For an update: I returned the Cabelas brand scale and purchased a RCBS Rangemaster 750. After I set it up I had no problems what so ever. I weighed, reweighed, and weighed carges over and over and everything came out perfect.

I had the same problem with the cabelas scale. I returned it and went back to the old beam scale. I kind of gave up on the digital idea after that. maybe I should try the chargemaster. I have only heard good things about them.

"I am one of those scale techs that goes to factories every month, 3 months, 6 months, etc., and recalibrates and recertifies the customers scales.... I calibrate, repair and sell high precision lab balances that cost thousands of dollars. Trust me when I say the ChargeMaster is good."

Johnny, how often do you test/recalibrate your ChargeMaster? And, do you do that service for other reloaders?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.