Hello from Louisiana

jgleas114

I am a complete novice in the long-range shooting department. I trap, fish, and hunt everything that I can in Louisiana. I have fallen in love with the discipline of bow hunting and want to include long-distance shooting disciplines for hunting purposes. This spark came from a recent hunt at a south Texas ranch where we shot out to 800 yards, not with my hunting rifle.

For the past 2 season, my rifle hunts have been with a stock Bergara B-14 ridge in 6.5 Creedmore. Nothing special, but I can shoot a half inch group at 100 yards with the Hornady ELD-X. I am currently running a Meopta Optika 6 2.5x15 44m. I knew nothing about it. Its what the shop sold me.

I am looking to customize my rifle and be proficient at 500 yards. I have access to 800+ yard range.

I need advice on where to start. I want to purchase quality components without breaking the bank. I am chuckling to myself as I finish typing this sentence.

So where do I start? Stock? Trigger? Glass? Supressor? Bipod?

I look forward to learning more. Thanks in advance for your help!

If you're shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards don't change anything! Ask Santa for more ammo and keep shooting. Document actual drops at distance and learn how to shoot in wind. Reading wind is where the magic happens...
Speaking of reading - Do yall have any good book recommendations to read about long-distance shooting? (I probably should start a thread on this so I can use the classifieds) I grew up zero at 100. Hold a little higher at 200. Let them walk at 300.

Welcome from North Carolina via the Baton Rouge area.

If your rifle shoots as good and CONSISTENTLY as you say it does, then just shoot it until something of your fancy comes along. There is no better than a good custom rifle that fits you with all the components you desire. So, I say save your money and start the dreaming process.

Happy to see another Cajun on the forum. By the way, what part of La do you live?

Welcome from West Virginia! Sounds like you got a good start. Lots of good help on this sight.
I agree what's already been said, shoot what you got as good as it sounds it is. You don't wanna buy the latest and greatest only to find out you don't like it. Take your time do lots of research then bang! You have a lot less cash. Lol

Welcome from North Carolina via the Baton Rouge area.

If your rifle shoots as good and CONSISTENTLY as you say it does, then just shoot it until something of your fancy comes along. There is no better than a good custom rifle that fits you with all the components you desire. So, I say save your money and start the dreaming process.

Happy to see another Cajun on the forum. By the way, what part of La do you live?
Baton Rouge