Headstock Run-out?

huntinco

User
How do u adjust the run out in the headstock? I have spoken with the service department several times and there English is sooooooooo terrible that I can hardly understand a **** word out of their mouth…. They also tell me there is no service manual just a parts manual, which I already have. Any help would be appreciated.

My lathe is a victor 1640

I don't know much about lathes, but if you are indicating runout on a piece of drill rod in the chuck, the runout is probably in the chuck itself. If that's not the case, the spindle nose may have an internal taper that a 5C collet would fit into and you could indicate off that or even the internal surface of the nose itself, particularly if it's a large bore spindle. At any rate, be sure you're checking the spindle, not a piece in a chuck. If the chuck is off the lathe, there may also be some place on the outside of the spindle nose to indicate on. Drill rod may not be perfectly round, but if you are indicating a piece in a 4 jaw chuck and can't adjust the runout to less than .0005" you probably do have radial spindle runout or worse yet, axial. I don't know what to tell you except it should have precision tapered roller bearings with locking adjusting collars that can take any slack out of the bearings. If that doesn't work????????

Hopefully, someone who actually knows what they're talking about will jump in.

In my very limited experience, if you're reading off the spindle itself, there shouldn't be any runout. Even a "last word" should hold still.

Good luck, Tom

Have you tried getting readings off of a face plate after a trueing cut? I am not sure that the differences shown would translate into run out in the work piece after a chuck or spider was properly installed. But I am a newbie so may not know any better.

Huntinco, I looked at all the pictures. ****! Looks like you got it on both ends of the spindle. The nose looks like a D1 mount. It should have been a lot truer than the indicator showed. I sure hope Chad looks at the pictures.

Put the spindle in neutral and grab both ends of it and see if you can feel any wiggle. Put an indicator on the face of the chuck mount and push / pull on the spindle to see if it thrusts back and forth any at all. Even if it doesn't, put another indicator inside the spindle nose and try tightening the bearing on one end while turning the spindle by hand, and see if the runout and/or end play diminishes or goes away.

Good luck, Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.