Headspace Question

lrdevil

I just finished chambering a 243 and the bolt will close on the go gauge but requires slight pressure, its not hard but it doesn't just fall into the closed position either, would this be too tight of headspace or could I call it good there? The action is hand tight.

I just finished chambering a 243 and the bolt will close on the go gauge but requires slight pressure, its not hard but it doesn't just fall into the closed position either, would this be too tight of headspace or could I call it good there? The action is hand tight.

If the action is hand tight, the head space will be to tight after the barrel has been torqued to 80 or 90 ft/lbs.

Take about .002 or .003 thousandths more cut in the chamber and you should get enough stretch in the tenon to end up with about .001 headspace.

If it makes up where the go gauge fits perfect (The bolt handle will close but have no play) it will still be alright because it will close on a loaded round. (If you test head space with a loaded round, remove the firing pin first for safety) it will still eject the loaded round.

PM Me if you have any more questions. Head space is very important.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.