Having a Terrible Time Deciding on a 6.5 Cartridge...

I may have to go this route as well with the new barrel. I started trying to get retumbo tuned in this year and got some slightly less than acceptable results. I started thinking about the round count on my rifle also. I'm on my 3rd box of lapua brass and most were shot around 10 time each so I'm around 2200+ round down the pipe. The first 2 boxes was at a reduced velocity of 2840fps which gave me good accuracy but I've been tying to get the gun up in some speed and not kill the brass as bad. I been around the 2930ish to 2980ish range but its never dialed in. Also I rellized after looking over my notes that I was not at the correct length seating depth I had been at with the other rounds. Long story short is I may have shot out the barrel or have some/a lot of throat erosion. I going to give it a good cleaning and then try a ladder seating test at 57.5 grains and see how it goes. If it still never come in then another cleaning and try my other proven load. If that doesn't work then it may be time for a new barrel which I may pull mine off and send out to get it duplicated on the contour since I really don't know which one it is. Also would like to step it up to at least a 26 inch length. I spoke with savage and they could make this up but I think I would rather go with something closer to a match grade barrel. Also there are a few other 6.5 calibers I've been tossing around as well but it would require fire forming, new dies, new learning experience, etc, etc, etc...
The easy answer is to try a different powder. That alone could save you a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Just get a 30/06 and solve the problem!!

I look at reloading manuals and fps, and wonder why some of these calibers are better. .243 at 100 grain, for deer, is around 3000 fps, same as 150 30-06. You can go to lower grain for 30-06.

I am thinking there must be something I am missing, and the fps is not all of it. At hunting camp I only have one manual that fps, and not energy, so maybe that is it.

I am invested in 30-06, but did pick up a .243. I may use it more for summer target shooting in t-shirt. Which is the only benefit I see, at the moment.

Though I believe you can't have to many guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.