anyone admit to making a terrible shot

I shoot alot of deer every year and take pride in the fact that i usually shoot well. Last night was an exception. Most deer we shoot are out at 300 plus yards. Last night i had one in front of me at 125 and was using my 300 H&H with a 150 tsx. Shot the deer and it dropped on the spot. It was early so i kept hunting but didnt see anything else. At dark i went over to guy it and found it laying there dead with a broken back. i was shooting right behind the shoulder and the shot felt right and hit the deer right where the hind quarters conect to the back bone. I dont remember my gun getting bumped so i cant blame the gun or scope but i will either check it today if i have time or grab a different rifle till i have time to. I think what happened was that it was such a short shot i didnt take my time and just thought it was a chip shot. It taught me a lesson though. A guys got to take the same attitude toward a shot on live game at 50 yards as he does at 500. I just as easily could have sent that deer off to die a terrible death.

Just so everyone doesn't think I'm picking on you this is one post you didn't post over here from GRAYBEARD about 11 days before the above post.

on: September 13, 2013, 06:45:39 AM »
ive shot 5 deer in last couple days with my new 240 wby. Im using a 100 sierra pro hunter at about 3300 fps. Closes deer was 335 yards and the farthest was 445 (check with my range finder). I guess i thought thered be something majic about this round because its a weatherby and somehow magicaly it would flatten deer. Not the case. All 5 deer took some looking to find. Typicaly they ran off 75-150 yards. All were hit behind the shoulder. None guy shot. I didnt really check out what organs were damaged but i didnt see a whole lot of damage inside. Exit wounds on 3 of the 5. I guess in all reality its nothing but a bit smaller 2506. I love the 25-06 but have kind of shook my head at guys that swear by it for 500 yard deer shooting as ive found it a bit lacking past 350. Ill still stand behind my experiences for years shooting lots of deer that its hard to beat a 7 or 30 mag for long range deer hunting. they just put deer down much better then the small bores. I still love this little 240. Theres no recoil to it and its very accurate. But i think for now on it will be used in fields where 300 yards is the norm not 400.

I don't know many hunters that buy into your type of experience

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.