Deciding on a new calibre

Slopeshunter

Good day everyone,

I have a 30.06 which I am going to put a new barrel on. Not sure what calibre I should rebarrel it to though? Looking for suggestions, or even a list somewhere of what calibres a 30.06 can be rebarelled to.

Thanks.

What are you looking to do with the rifle? Hunt? Target? Varmint?

What other calibers do you already own?

I already have 280AI, 308 Norma Mag and 300 RUM. I'm thinking I'd like to do something lighter with this rebuild? Possibly something my boys could start out with when they start hunting. It will be used for big game.

cheers

I already have 280AI, 308 Norma Mag and 300 RUM. I'm thinking I'd like to do something lighter with this rebuild? Possibly something my boys could start out with when they start hunting. It will be used for big game.

cheers

You could do a 6.5-06, no problem to make brass out of 25-06. Flat shooting reasonable recoil and many suitable powders.

264 gibbs will nearly equal the 264 win mag. 6.5-06 imp is right behing the giibbs. Those two would be good. Also the 243 AI with 90 grain barnes bullets at over 3600 fps has very light recoil, amazing accuracy and will drop anything.

Long Ranger you beat me to it.
The 6-284 is also a great round.
Then there is always the 6-06 or 6-06AI
A hot 6mm is perfect for a young hunter.
I'm bringing my 6-284 out to Wy next week for antelope.
I'm shooting 107smk's at 3400 with very good long range accuracy.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume the 6.5Gibbs and 264Gibbs are one and the same? If so, what exactly is it? I think it's based off the 06 case and has a improved shoulder angle but beyond that I haven't a clue.

Rockz, I got the 6mm-06 imp, the 240 gibbs and the 243 ai. All are amazing but the 243 ai is way easier on barrels for a young hunter to grow up with and a breeze to load for. If slopeshunter ever wanted to go long range with the 107 there would be plenty of room on the long action to seat them out. For varmints I shoot a 70 grain ballistic tip at 4300 fps out of the 240 gibbs. I can get about 3950 out of the 243 ai. But then your 6mm-284 would be fast and also seat the bullets way out. But probably the barrel burner of the 06 case wildcats in 6mm. Good luck on your antelope. If your in a unit near me check in while your out here. I would be glad to stop by and chat.

B23, they are the same. The gibbs is all you can get out of a '06 case. Completely blown out with minimum taper and shoulder angle. Only a .25 inch neck which is why it didn't fly. Many gunwriters thought that was to short. Mine shoot outstanding and virtually match the magnum counterparts. 240 gibbs will outshoot a 240 wby. 264 gibbs near the 264 win mag, 7mm gibbs almost identical to the 7mm rem mag, 30 gibbs right at 300 win mag and 338 gibbs near the 338 win mag. Probably all within a 100 fps of the magnums with less powder and recoil. I think the gibbs are very good choices for a build on an '06 action.

LTLR

Since posting that question I found some information and even a picture or two of a 6.5 Gibbs case next to a 6.5-06AI case. I thought the Gibbs case was a little funny looking with that longggggg body and short neck but looked like it had a far decent advantage in case capacity.

Does forming cases take a couple of firings or do you form them in one firing? Also, does it take upwards of 30+ inches of barrel to see the real benefit of that big *** case?

Sorry for all the questions but I dig overbore stuff. I guess I have far to many years breathing 110+ race fuel. :)

After inheriting my grandfather's 25-06 I've become really fond of the caliber. It's flat shooting and hardly any kick. I would get a 1 in 8" twist barrel so I could shoot 120grain bullets.

The gibbs is easy to fireform cases. Always start with a larger caliber brass. Always anneal so they don't split. Bring the 30-06 down in stages to the 6.5. Neck it to where the case just fits into the action without a stiff bolt. This is your headspace and very important to get that right. Then one shot and you have a gibbs. You will appreciate the 30 caliber neck you started with when a portion of that neck gets blown out that far. The gibbs are definitely pure bred race horses.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.