Have some questions.........

muzzleflash

Hey, I have a bunch of questions on rifles and scope......

I've been shooting for a while, but have never got serious (only been shooting at 100 yards). So far I've been shooting with a .243, but i have just got a 7mm mag and a new Burris XTR scope 6-24X, and I'm aiming on getting more serious........now for the questions:

What is the effective range of the 7mm mag? I've been doing a lot of googling, but haven't come up with the answer.

How big of a difference am i going to see between the 7mm mag, and the .243?

Should i look into loading my own loads(?)....or should i wait till i have had more experience?

Is it worth the money to buy a bipod? I mean the type you would see being used in the military.........

Lastly, do you guys have any helpful hints on sighting in my scope, and shooting in general?

Hope you guys can help...

Thanks.

The simple answer is not so simple really. Your rifle, shooting conditions and your own personal skills as a marksman are the determining factors in how far your 7mm Rem Mag will effectively reach.

In skilled hands and in an accurate rifle, the 7mm Rem is a legit 1K rifle round. In a not so accurate rifle or inexperienced shooter it can loose effectiveness within a couple hundred yards.

Without knowing the rifles potential is hard to say. Also depends on what you plan to do with the rifle, paper punch, varmint hunt, big game hunt???

Your going to see alot of difference between the 7mm and the 243, down range and behind the rifle. While the 7mm is relatively easy to master it will generate alot more recoil then the 243.

Ballistically, this pretty much comes down to what bullets you use in both rifles. The two can be totally different or rather similiar depending on what bullet is used in each.

In most cases, the 7mm should have a distinct edge ballistically especially at longer ranges and bullet energy will be substantially more at all ranges so game taking ability will be greatly increase. Not because of the higher energy but because of the heavier, larger frontal diameter bullet.

I would say you should start loading now. You only get experience by "doing". Start now and your experience will grow from the get go. You will also have a wider selection of bullets for better long range performance.

I recommend the Harris bipod. They are not cheap but cheaper then alot of bipods out there and work as well as any. For longer range shooting a quality bipod is a must in my opinion.

Take your rifle and scope to your local gun shop or gunsmith and they will bore sight it if you are not comfortable doing so. If done properly, you should be able to hit a sight in target at 100 yards easily. You can fine tune from there.

I prefer to sight in with a starting point of impacting 2 to 2.5" high at 100 yards if you want a one zero for shooting out to say 400 yards. If you will be dialing in for your shots, zero at 100 yards and dial up from there.

Kirby Allen(50)

I would chime in here but you just got help from one of the best!! Ditto to everything Kirby said. Start loading now and learn as you go, doing is the only way to learn it. Harris bi-pods kick butt and are very strong. When you put one on your gun you may wanna have a secondary swivel attachment placed just below the back of the bi-pod so it doesnt dig into your shoulder when you carry the gun.

As far as shooting start slow and at reasonable distances. it is easy to get good out to 300-400yds and then think you can may a clean shot out to 1000 but it dont work that way.

if your looking to get better at shooting long range you have found no beter place.

take it easy
steve

Good advice by the two posts above, the way i zero a rifle is remove the bolt and look through the bore and turn the mounts and scope to where the cross hairs are pointing to the point of impact you see down the bore.Get a large piece
of cardboard or thick paper and draw a small dot on it while aiming by aide of sand bags shoot at the dot on said paper and see where you print get a friend to turn your scope while aiming at the dot to the actual bullet hole you printed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

that is the best way i have found to bore sight a rifle. I do it personnaly in our store everyday and you would be amazed at how many customers demand that i use a magnetic boresighter instead.

looking down the bore works better

steve

Great, do you have any sites that could tell me what i need and how to reload my own ammunition?

Also, what do you think the max range for effective shooting would be for my scope?

@ sniper2, what distance do you place the cardboard from the rifle?

There was a post somewhere here on the board a guy asked just recently about what he needed to get into reloading. you might look for it.

As for your max range there really isnt one. the verticle adjustment in target turrets would be the only real limiting factor or hold over points on your reticle. Me and Bill Bailey did all of our intial 1k plus shooting with a 14x Leup. Hell Kirby Allen killed his 2370yd chuck with a 15x scope!!!!!!!!

You are set up fine to learn long range shooting

steve

Ok good.....

About that other thread; i searched for 10 minutes and didn't see much.....the only thing that came close was the one started by 300rum......

[ QUOTE ]
Hell Kirby Allen killed his 2370yd chuck with a 15x scope!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif holy crap, that's incredible!

I place the target at 100yds. If you find you aren't real good at bore siting start with target at 50yds. you can always use a larger paper!You will be suprised at how good you can get at this with a bit of practice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Muzzleflash,

[ QUOTE ]

holy crap, that's incredible!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it was and I hear there have been some rumblings about the shot on other chat boards so I want to say that does not happen every day. The rifle certainly has the potential to make that shot repeatably but with the variations involved at those ranges, this could well be a once in a lifetime shot.

I will do my best to make sure that is not the case but I fully admit to the level of luck involved in such a shot. Just for those that want to make a bigger deal out of this shot then it should be and feel the need to call it a fluke.

Back to the point at hand, 14x is plenty for shooting rock chucks at 1000 yards with a quality scope. Big game is certainly not a problem with this powder level in a quality scope.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.