New Rifle and have Questions

kbaerg

So I am ready to purchase myself a new rifle to up my collection to four (.45 A.C.P DPMS .308 Bushmaster .223). I am really looking hard at the savage model 12 VLP in .308 and 300WSM, and the Savage 116 in 300 win mag. I am curious as to what the barrel life is expected on a 300 win mag, and 300WSM, also does the heavy barrel benefit any in the larger calibers. I was told that heavy and long barrels are the way to go but am starting to wonder if this isn't the case in todays rifles. My main hunting species for now are deer, coyotes, and paper but would like to have something that will work well when I go on a elk or moose hunt. Any help is much appreciated.:)

I have a savage 16 in 300WSM
This gun is a great shooter sub moa out to 700 yards using 180 gr accubonds
I would not do a short action again you cant load to the length you really should to get great accuracy
Go with the long action, Either 300 will perform well for you
retiredcpo

As soon as you said elk and moose, that put you in the 300winmag or 300wsm. I disagree with retiredcpo on the short-action vs. long-action. I think with either one that if you load the bullets out far enough that they do not fit in the magazine, that's not a big deal. You can single feed the rifle and with a longrange rig, I have never found single loading to be a disadvantage.

When it comes to single feeding a longrange rig, I talk the talk and walk the walk....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/#post494570

Trebark
You are 100% correct you can load longer and hand load just not something Im will to do.
In my case we had to push the bullets back 0.160 futher than I wanted, to get them to clear the mag.
Again dont miss understand this gun shoots great for what I built it to do its it awsomeI just dont like the limitations the shorter mag lenght puts on me.
retiredcpo

I own the VLP. It is a great rifle. I would definitely go with the 300WSM for your application. I have shot mine in .308 and 300WSM (I switched barrels). I think you will be very pleased with the accuracy of the rifle. I love Savage rifles.

Tank

Thanks for the info:) I think i may end up going the 300 WSM route, one more question what can a person expect for barrel life on the savage 300WSM and does the heavy barrel benfit. I'm on my Second barrel on my DPMS. (I like to shoot a lot) gun)

Well good luck with the project
My 300 wsm load is 63 gr of H4350 with Win brass and win mag primmers
pushing 180 gr accubonds
My OAL is 2.860 My average FPS is 2862 with a SD of 9.66
As for barrel life I cant really say I only shoot a few hundred a year I have been shooting this load for about 5 years now
Good luck
Lets us know how things go
Retiredcpo

Thanks again for the info. I have another question for anyone. I am looking at the savages and the weather warrior 16/116 300WSM has a 24" barrel and the 12 VLP DBM 300WSM has a 26" barrel. Both are a 1in 10" twist. Will 2" in barrel length make any difference.

Thanks again for the info. I have another question for anyone. I am looking at the savages and the weather warrior 16/116 300WSM has a 24" barrel and the 12 VLP DBM 300WSM has a 26" barrel. Both are a 1in 10" twist. Will 2" in barrel length make any difference.

2" of barrel will yield ~40fps increase in velocity. That is not significant short range, but it will make a difference at 1000. Personally, I would go 26 and would prefer 28.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.