Hats off to Savage

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sniperjwt, Jul 5, 2010.

1. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

I shot my 300 WSM once before at 1000 yards with a slight breeze and managed to shoot a 16" group so i got the chance to try it again with no wind early one morning. The gun is a Savage model 11. I got it off of a trade several months back and have fell in love. The only thing i have done to it is put a choate stock on it. Its pre accutrigger so it is an older model. So anyway here is the group.
    [​IMG]

11.5 inches center to center
    I am very happy out of this near stock gun. I only wish it had a heavier, longer barrel on it so it did not get so hot so fast. After 3 shots its done for about 15 minutes. Oh well im not going to complain. The trigger on it is crap about 4-5 pounds and a half mile of creap. Also only have a cheap tasco 4-16-40 pronghorn scope on it.

2. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Good shooting, and yes those Savages are surprising rifles. I have two 112BVSS's and they both shoot incredibly. Thanks for sharing. JohnnyK.

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Nice shooting!!

Jeff

4. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Nice group...an easy and worthwhile investment would be an adjustable Rifle Basix trigger. The one they make for that gun is superb.

5. midwesthunter

midwesthunter Well-Known Member

Nice group. I am starting to like savage more and more.

6. rdsewell

rdsewell Well-Known Member

I too have an older Savage it's a model 112 in 22-250. Its trigger was crap also. I replaced it with a Timney and it's set at 1.5# it now shoots constant .250 groups.:D

7. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I don't think there is much more to say!:D Good shooting. With a little more practice and a better scope you can expect that group to shrink a few inches.

Tank

8. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

From Sniperjwt:
    And from Liltank:
    Maybe. Or maybe this shows you don't need a $1,500 scope to get 1MOA at 1,000 yards. Then again, maybe even a crap rifle and/or scope can occasionally put 3 shots into a foot at that distance.

Nice shootin' Sniperjwt. Think you can do it a second time?

Disclaimer: I'm in no way criticizing Savage rifles or Sniperjwt's skills. I own a couple Savage's and think highly of them. And I've never met Sniperjwt. I'd be pretty pleased with myself to place 'em on target like that at over 1/2 a mile. I'd be much more pleased to do it consistently. Remember, Team Savage does awfully well in F-Class competitions with stock Savage rifles.

9. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Good shooting. I got the thread humor.

10. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

the sharpshooter competition trigger is very good also. very easy to install, no modifacations at all. about $120 from brownells or direct from sharpshooters supply.
    good shooters with good equiptment are usually pretty consistant. unfortunatly conditions cant be counted on.

11. goose

goose Well-Known Member

Nice job! My stevens is the only "cheap" gun I've ever had that shoots. I bought it mostly for the action to use on a build, and it's the most fun $300 gun I've had. I've only shot to 622yard, but was happy with a 6.07" group. Keep it up.

12. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Natty, not knock'in any of this thread. I think it is outstanding what he is doing. I use a buckmaster Nikon for my shooting, 6-18x40 w/ target dot. Not an expensive scope by any stretch. I think it is great to see a factory grade trigger and barrel producing that kind of group. Goes to prove that sporter contour barrels can still reach out there effectively.

Tank