Off To New Mexico

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jwp475, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

I am packing for my Elk hunt in Chama, N.M. I hope to leave this afternoon. My hunt starts on the fifteenth, but I would like a few days to accliment to the altitude. I will be hunting on a mountain that varies in elevation from 7400 feet to 11,500 and that is thin air coming from sea level.
    I am going to hunt with my 338 Lapua shooting the 300 grain SMK at 2791 FPS. This load has proven to be a very consistent .3 MOA load out to 1036 yards, as far as I have been able to shoot here.

[​IMG]

3 at 730 yards

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Have a good hunt! Look forward to the stories and pics.

3. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

Good luck on your hunt. How much does your rifle weigh, and how are you going to carry it around the mountain to hunt ?

4. papa45

papa45 Well-Known Member

Where are you hunting? Draw hunt? Guided? Please share your experiences when you return.

5. Capt Academy

Capt Academy Well-Known Member

NM has great elk hunting! Do share your hunt experiences with us. Are you hunting with Ray Milligan?

6. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

I am not planing on a spot and stalk hunt, my plans are a spot and kill type of hunt.

I arrived early inorder to accliment to the alltitude and to make sure that all systems are on go.

I am hunting with RB Outfitters out of Chama, NM and we are hunting public land. I have hunted with Ron before and he is a Long Range friendly Outfitter.

We will be headed to camp shortly and I begin hunting in the morning.

Yes. I drew the tag.

7. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Good luck and look forward to hearing the rest of your story. Nice looking/shooting rifle based on those photos.

8. soren

soren Well-Known Member

Good luck on your hunt. I just took a train ride with my son from Antonito to Chama about 3 weeks ago. Beautiful country.