Off To New Mexico

jwp475

I am packing for my Elk hunt in Chama, N.M. I hope to leave this afternoon. My hunt starts on the fifteenth, but I would like a few days to accliment to the altitude. I will be hunting on a mountain that varies in elevation from 7400 feet to 11,500 and that is thin air coming from sea level.
I am going to hunt with my 338 Lapua shooting the 300 grain SMK at 2791 FPS. This load has proven to be a very consistent .3 MOA load out to 1036 yards, as far as I have been able to shoot here.

338LapuaBrassSolid009.jpg

3 at 730 yards

730Yards001.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck on your hunt. How much does your rifle weigh, and how are you going to carry it around the mountain to hunt ?

Where are you hunting? Draw hunt? Guided? Please share your experiences when you return.

Good luck on your hunt. How much does your rifle weigh, and how are you going to carry it around the mountain to hunt ?

I am not planing on a spot and stalk hunt, my plans are a spot and kill type of hunt.

I arrived early inorder to accliment to the alltitude and to make sure that all systems are on go.

I am hunting with RB Outfitters out of Chama, NM and we are hunting public land. I have hunted with Ron before and he is a Long Range friendly Outfitter.

We will be headed to camp shortly and I begin hunting in the morning.

Yes. I drew the tag.

Good luck and look forward to hearing the rest of your story. Nice looking/shooting rifle based on those photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.