Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager

Anyone know how to heat treat steel? It may be as easy as heating up that portion of the tool and then quenching it in cold water... Maybe I'll Google this topic and see if it's straightforward. It's not like we'd be heat treating the landing gear on the Space Shuttle and a mistake would endanger life. I thought heat treating steel to increase it's hardness/toughness was pretty straightforward.

I do have to agree that the case rod could be harder. Mine has mushroomed slightly already. It's just enough to make it difficult to get a 223 case mouth over it. I'll probably just clean it up with emery cloth, or something similar. The mushrooming is so slight that I can barely detect it with my fingertips.

any chance 1 of you post a pic of the brass to see a before and after on the primer pocket, and post a close up pic on the Tool Head?

I had some 44 mag cases that the pockets were loose. I used the head of a 3/8 carriage bolt in my vice and it worked like a champ to tighten up the pockets

Let's resurrect this topic. With brass being so difficult to attain, is there any new solutions to tightening up loos pockets.

Let's resurrect this topic. With brass being so difficult to attain, is there any new solutions to tightening up loos pockets.
If you want to try, a bunch of guys use a hardened steel ball bearing ( bought off ebay or Amazon for a few bucks) and a grade 8 bolt .

You can drill a hole in a piece of angle iron and epoxy or weld the ball bearing into the hole, then the angle iron can be put in your vice and you bang on the bolt. Or put the bolt in your vice and bang on the ball bearing

Muddyboots, that tool is for opening up a pocket. I need a good way to tighten up pockets.

Attempted this a couple year ago, on some brand new once fired Nosler 28Nosler, the results were inconclusive! Just went with Peterson's premium brass in the end.

I have not done the ball bng / grade 8 bolt down the neck thing in a while, but I was able to resurrect some hi dollar 338-378 Wby cases by doing so. Worked so well, I'm thinking of doing it to brand new cases. I believe it work hardens the brass in that locale, and that makes it hold its shape better. Those cases I saved ? 20+ loads .