Hart's "case saver"primer pocket swager

eddybo

Someone here posted a link a while back to a product that they had some interest in, but no one here seemed to have any experiance with it. It was called a "case saver" primer pocket swager to the best of my recollection. I got one to try out. I can say without a doubt that it is money well spent.
Using this product I was able to get 9 firings from a Jamison 338AM case and the primer pocket will still hold. After 4 loadings I used the swager once, I did not have to use it again. I retired the case after 9 firings because the flash hole was eroding somewhat.
The real reason I bought the tool was to try and salvage 100 pieces of .308 Lapua brass that only had one firing.....yea the load was hot. I was able to salvage all 100 pieces even the one that pierced a primer. I was so excited that it worked for that I then saved a bunch of 7RUM brass that I had abused a bit.
This tool works so well it is one of those gadgets that will make you mumble, "why didn't I think of that."

Hey Eddybo I've had one for quite awhile now and my feelings are the same as yours. I also bought it for the same reason as you to salvage some brass for my 30-416 Rigby Imp. That was run a little on the hot side. Trust me when you go thru all that trouble necking down the brass fireforming,reaming etc you want to get a little more than one or two firings :)

Not to mention neck turning, even if your just cleaning them up. I may have to start annealing brass now. I usually have the primer pockets pretty trashed by the time the necks get stiff, so never have annealed much brass. Looks like I am going to be starting.

Hey Eddybo I've had one for quite awhile now and my feelings are the same as yours. I also bought it for the same reason as you to salvage some brass for my 30-416 Rigby Imp. That was run a little on the hot side. Trust me when you go thru all that trouble necking down the brass fireforming,reaming etc you want to get a little more than one or two firings :)

I may have to start annealing brass now. I usually have the primer pockets pretty trashed by the time the necks get stiff, so never have annealed much brass. Looks like I am going to be starting.
I always annealed the hard way but I finally broke down 2 or 3 years back and bought one of these from Ken Light and wish I'd done it a whole lot sooner. Annealing is fun now. It's one of those things that you hate to pay the price for, but given the work that goes into making one and how easy it makes the job, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.;)
annealer.gif
BC 1000 Automatic Case Annealer
Automatically anneals 1,000 case necks per hour. Increases brass life and improves accuracy. Ensures proper chamber seal. A must for forming wildcat cartridges. Comes complete with one cartridge head wheel. Additional wheels available, .22 Hornet to .50 cal. BMG.
$350.00

Someone here posted a link a while back to a product that they had some interest in, but no one here seemed to have any experiance with it. It was called a "case saver" primer pocket swager to the best of my recollection. I got one to try out. I can say without a doubt that it is money well spent.
Using this product I was able to get 9 firings from a Jamison 338AM case and the primer pocket will still hold. After 4 loadings I used the swager once, I did not have to use it again. I retired the case after 9 firings because the flash hole was eroding somewhat.
The real reason I bought the tool was to try and salvage 100 pieces of .308 Lapua brass that only had one firing.....yea the load was hot. I was able to salvage all 100 pieces even the one that pierced a primer. I was so excited that it worked for that I then saved a bunch of 7RUM brass that I had abused a bit.
This tool works so well it is one of those gadgets that will make you mumble, "why didn't I think of that."

Can you elaborate on this? How's it work? How much? Got any pics? Thanks!

As you can see the case goes over the post, then the punch goes through the flash hole into the end of the post. You then tap it with something....I am using my plastic bullet puller. The outer edge of the punch pushes a small ring of material from the outer edge into the primer pocket. You can barely tell anything happened when you look at he case, but your cases feel new again when you seat your primers. They seal off just like new cases.
I do not know how well it would work for small primer pockets especially lapua 220 russian brass because of it deep seating, but it works great for large rifle cases.

Annealer?

Hello ss7mm,

I was thinking long and hard about getting an annealer like that or the one from zephyer(sp) dynamics. I just don't know which one to get.

I like that kens machine rotates the cases but I would have to get different size trays for the diff. Size cases. Whereas the zephyer system can accomadate cases up to and including the 50 BMG. But it doesn't rotate the cases although it has a split torch system so as of right now still undecided.

How do you like yours? And are my issues really no issue?

Thanks a lot,

Dave

I really like my annealer and Ken is great about answering questions etc. It's a big heavy duty unit that comes well packaged and should last several lifetimes.;) I prefer the one that rotates the cases as I want the annealing as even as possible, thus I went with the Light unit.

Once you've set it up a time or two and get the hang of it, it goes really quickly and you can do a couple of hundred cases in no time at all. I set it up in my shop with the lights off and one door open so the color is easy to see and adjust. Just put them in one side and catch them in a suitable container as they drop out.;)

I don't remember the exact cost of the wheels but they aren't much and will do several different cases per wheel.

ss7mm,

Thanks alot for your info on Kens annealer I feel the same way you do I like the idea of spinning cases for uniform results I respect your opinion so thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

Aloha,

Dave

ss7mm,

Thanks alot for your info on Kens annealer I feel the same way you do I like the idea of spinning cases for uniform results I respect your opinion so thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

Aloha,

Dave

You won't go wrong with Ken's annealer or the Brass-O-Matic. What I prefer about the brass-o-matic is that the brass is NOT moving when under the flame. It is torched from both sides and is in the flame for a fixed time. It can hold any case. You do not have to spend $50 on each extra wheel. Ken's annealer is spinning the case but it is never in a flame at any fixed point, however, it appears to be a better built, more sturdy annealer.

Ken's annealer is spinning the case but it is never in a flame at any fixed point, however, it appears to be a better built, more sturdy annealer.
Not arguing the point or anything, but, having used Ken's unit for several years now I'd have to disagree. The case is in each torch's flame for the amount of time and intensity of flame that I want, and is dictated by how I set the torches up.

Yes the case moves into the flame and then out of the flame so it doesn't just sit there for a period of time if that's what you mean, but it's in the flame none the less and the correct color etc. happens on each and every case. In fact, if you were to set it up wrong, you could easily destroy the case by having it in the flame and under too much heat for too long.

I've got to agree about the construction and quality of Ken's unit. That was the first thing I noticed when I unpacked it.;)

Thanks guys for the link, photo, and explanation. Got two ordered pronto. Small and large.

GG, could you post some feedback here on this Hart tool after you get a chance to try them out? I'm interested but also reading mixed opinions on some other forums. Thanks,

Paul