Hart vs Lilja

I can't sit here and tell you that one is better than the other. Those two companies make top notch barrels. I would call both and see what the wait times are and go with the one with the shortest wait time.

With those two barrel makers, it wont be the barrel that makes it shoot but the smith that puts it all together. If you have a good smith doing your work then either of those companies barrels will be awesome shooters.

Well I'm building my buddies rifle that just passed can u point me in a direction of a good smith? It a weatherby and everyone I'm talking to would rather not do it cuz its not some type of 700

I have both Hart and Lilja barrels.

All I can tell you is both have produced outstanding accuracy. I have an action at Hart bbls right now and they will mate a bbl to the action soon. Hopefully by this November.

One of the best smiths I know who retired from making guns and (he used to make bbls) advised I go with Hart. He did several Liljas with good results but had some with issues and he apparently got no results from Mr. Lilja. He then began using Hart and stated he never received a bad bbl.

I think Shawn uses Hart exclusively on his builds and he may have started this by referencing bench rest records.

I'd prefer to go with Hart, but would not stress over having to go with Lilja. The Hart's, especially in 338, that I've had or been around, have been excellent. My general rule is to let whoever builds it have some leeway in deciding which barrel. It's going to be his name on the finished project. It's worked pretty well for me.

I'd prefer to go with Hart, but would not stress over having to go with Lilja. The Hart's, especially in 338, that I've had or been around, have been excellent. My general rule is to let whoever builds it have some leeway in deciding which barrel. It's going to be his name on the finished project. It's worked pretty well for me.

I second this entire post. And will add the last few Harts I used in 7mm were very very good shooters too.

Jeff

I've have both great barrels. Lilja on 284,30-338mag,222mag,280AI,270 and I gave my nephew a 300mag with Lilja barrel and 270 with Hart barrel. Got a 243AI,6ppc,223AI with Hart barrels and my latest build has a Mike Rock barrel.

One of the sponsor here uses Lilja barrel for his custom Fiftydriver (Kirby Allen)
Home Page

Lot of good barrels out there.

Like HARPERC suggested talking to the smith about this first is a great idea. There is one difference you may wish to explore a little more. The Harts are a 6 land and grove barrel. The Lilja I believe is offered in 3 or 5 land and groves. The smith you use may have a preference or dislike depending on the caliber an its intended use.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.