Lilja Vs Shilen

One Shot

Hi, Could any of you help me out a little ?
I have a Remington 700BDL SA (.308W) That I wish to turn into a long range shooting/ hunting rifle.
I have Choate ultimate sniper stock (I know a lot of people think this is a crapy stock, but it fits me good)
I have just purchased a Nightforce NXS 5,5-22 x 56. And now I want to buy a new barrel.

I'm not sure what to choose Lilja or Shilen. Anybody got 1st or 2nd hand information about theese two ?

why only those 2?

for buton rifled id take lilja or hart--for cut rifled then kreiger.

You really cant go wrong with either though.

JB

Never have used a Shilen. The Lilja I have here is sweet. It never did copper foul but just a little, and quit copper fouling at around 40 rounds and 5-7 cleanings as I remember. I haven't cleaned it in 40-60 rounds or something like that since.

I watched a guy break in his Shilin at the range a couple years ago, clean and shoot, clean and shoot each shot. He was putting them on top of each other **** near (under .5 MOA easily) every shot, this was all while shooting 375 H&H ammo to fire form in his 375 Weatherby chamber too!

Michael,
Homer did that rifle there.
wink.gif

Hey oneshot..
send it to Chris M. and put on a Mike Rock Barrel you'll squeeze some extra FPS compared to other barrels.. I get 26" barrel perfomance from a 24" barrel....

It will be a lot of papir work sending my rifle to the US. So my plan was buying a barrel and then get a Norwegian gunsmith to install.

ya know..I didn't notice you were from Norway.. your right.. tons of paper work..
mad.gif

i have shot both and like both alot-as stated u really cant go wrong with either-my-2-dave

I had one Shilen tube chambered in 300Wby , it shot great but went away fast!!! Shilen uses 8 lands and grooves and I believe that they use softer steel.
I have a Lilja , Hart , Pac-nor and had a Shilen , all four guns shot just as well as the other , the Pac-nor and Lilja seem to be either a little harder steel or the three groove barrels just last longer cause they show less throat wear.
Personaly all my barrels are going to be Pac-Nors from now on , you just can't beat their price.

I can't speak for how fast they go away but I have a Shillen that I like a lot so far. I really can't immagine any brand name barrel being a bad investment. I'd place more blame on the owner than on the barrel for it's performance.

Why do you want a barrel made of 416R. While the 17-4 steel is the most corrosion resistant on the market and have shown3X extension in throat life and top accuracy.
It is probably easier to buy a Lothar Walther barrel in Norway than US made and for long term you will probably get a barrel that will give you accuracy for longer period of time!!!
shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.