Lilja barrel

BrentM

My gunsmith is encouraging me to go with a Lilja 3 groove. What is the advantage of the 3 groove?

I have consisdered a McGown or Shilen as well. Basically due to time constraints and seeing what is available I was thinking McGown prefit for my savage. My other option is to have him cut back and rechamber my current barrel until the order cycle time has been met on a new barrel such as the Lilja.

I have a 30" Lilja barrel with 1:8 and 3-groove in. 270 AI and am very pleased with it. Very accurate and very easy to clean.

Lilja have a short and sweet article in their FAQ section. You can also talked directly to Dan, he's a very nice guy and easy to talk to.

Kirby Allen of APS uses Lilja barrel and I'm sure will gladly chime in if he's not too busy.

Out of your choices, I'd pick McGowen last. Good luck!

Ed

Found the info. Thanks. Seems like a good combo for the 6.5-284 and short life of the barrels. If you get 20% that is around 200 rounds give or take and that is not a bad thing for sure.

I have a Lilja 3 groove barrel on my 300 WAMBOMAG ( my version of a 30/338 LM Imp. ) and it is fantastic, it's a 1-11" twist and shoots the 210gr JLK at 3250 fps in .5 moa or less at any distance I care to shoot at.

My 270 I built had a 3 groove Lilja on it. My buddy Norm was so impressed with it, he sent 2 rifles for complete make-overs and both now sport Lilja barrels and one is a 30.06 he converted to a 270. First 3 shots after break-in were with factory Hornady ammo, 140 SST bullets. All 3 went into the same hole, so exact that it's the only (closest to) caliber sized hole I've seen on a target in person at 100 yards. Lilja barrels are great. Those 270 barrels are 3 groove.

That's the rifle I gave to my bud in CO.

But I don't think I have a bad barreled rifle in my safe and I have a variety. My preference, IN ORDER, if I were to buy a button rifled barrel now would be Hart, Broughton, Lilja.

For Cut rifled barrels: Krieger/Bartlein (tie), Brux, Obermeyer-----and he's last because it's just near impossible to get one of his.

My top 3 choices IN ORDER: KRIEGER/BARTLEIN, Hart, Brux

I'm using a Lilja 3 groove in 300ultra and really like it, so much that I have another Lilja 3 groove coming for another build. Have 2 other Lilja barrels on other builds. As other posters said, easy cleaning and Dan is great to talk to.

My first 270 AM bbl was a heavy Lilja 3 groove. Ran it long an hard. Pooped out a just over 900 yards.

Rebarreled with another shorter, lighter Lilja 3 groove that I got from DerekM.

bbl from Derek is faster than the orginal bbl.

Both shot/shoot lights out.

First one was way hard on jackets second not so much.

3 grooves are definitely harder on bullets especially with fast twists.

FWIW

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.