Hart vs B&C Weight

jtmoose

Im building my first rifle and at the stock, I like the vertical grip on the bobby Hart lrt and b&c tactical medalist stocks. Price is right for me too. How heavy are these stocks for a hunting rifle?

My Bobby Hart LRT for a 700 SA Varmint/Sendero with the aluminum bedding block and skim bedded weighs 3.58 pounds. It's dwfinwtly not a lightweight stock but it feels nice.

[FONT=&quot]My Impressions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am building a custom gun based off a Remington 700 LA that has been rebarreled to 6.5x55 Swede. The barrel is a heavy varmint contour and I wanted a stock to fit that contour. Being more of a traditionalist I was going to try to build a solid wood stock and originally wanted to purchase a Richard's micro stock in black walnut but with all the bad reviews and my limited tool set decided against it. And having a custom wood stock built to order was outside my price range. So I decided to try a laminated stock. Boyd's seemed to have potential; however, they do not make a heavy varmint contour for the Remington 700.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After some research decided to try the fairly new Bobby Hart LRT stock. It is designed for heavy contour barrels and I selected the aluminum block version. I chose tawny brown color in satin finish. Many different colors are available and a gloss finish is optional. The stock comes standard with a one inch Pachmayr pad. The stock comes with a palm swell, two sling mounts on the front of the stock and one on the rear. No other options are available. A little different than Boyd's were you can opt for checkering, etc. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The tawny brown color looks nice, however, it was not as dark as depicted on their web site. The finish is smooth and polished to the point of being slippery. The stock weighs 3.75 lbs and combined with the heavy varmint barrel at 6.5 lbs the gun weighs with scope, etc. at 11.5 lbs. Not exactly a field gun but that is not what I wanted. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The aluminum block is well anchored and the fit to my receiver was tight with no movement. What was impressive was how tight the tolerances are. [/FONT] The receiver took a little pressure to place in the stock as well as the floor plate. Both do not just drop out like on the factory stock. T[FONT=&quot]he barrel channel was wide enough to pass the dollar test for a free floating barrel. And after installation the barrel is centered along the contour of the barrel channel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The comb is high and is advertised to have enough capacity for target type scopes. I used PRI two piece standard height steel base mounts and medium Warne rings. The scope alignment for my 6.5x24x40 B&L target scope was perfect.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The for end is slightly beveled so when placed on a rest slight adjustments can be made. For some people this may present a problem. The forearm is 2.14 inches in width which is less than the standard target stock of 3 inches. Since most bench rests have a 3 inch opening it may be an issue. My rest can be adjusted inward and I did not find it to be a significant issue. The vertical palm swell fits nicely but is large and for a person with small hands may be an issue.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I got the stock on sale at $332 instead of the normal $452 which to me is high. Overall, I am pleased with the stock except the color (had I known it would be light brown I would opted for a more varied brown color). [/FONT]

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.