Happy with my 6.5CM RAP accuracy W/Timney trigger & Boyd'sstock

Litehiker

Yesterday I went to my club range to zero my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American Predator since I just put on a new Boyd's Classic laminated stock and Timney trigger.

Once I got on target at 100 yards with seven 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M (match) cartridges (first 2 shots were 10" high and 8" to the right!) I switched to 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter cartridges.

Shooting from a bench rest with a front pedestal and rear bag my first 3 shots were a bit less than 1/2" with a 4th pulled shot 1/4" low and left.

I'm very happy with the results and as the wind was picking up i didn't go to the 200 yard range. The Boyd's stock made it a pleasure to shoot snd easy to get a good cheek weld on my scope with the classic cheek piece and high comb.
**SCOPE-> SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 W/ FFP, mil/mil for turrets/reticle and side parallax knob. And excellent scope for the money.

I was surprised at how far off my initial shots were from the Ruger factory plastic stock. I'll be interested to see if I get low and left shots when I put it back on for high altitude hunting. That stock is exactly one pound lighter than the Boyd's laminated stock.

The 2 lb. pull of the Timmy trigger helped a lot compared to the Ruger trigger that I had adjusted as low as possible at 3.3 lbs. The Timmy trigger broke much cleaner as well. Ruger needs to re-engineer there American triggers.

Ruger could easily put a painted-on seal on their adjustable triggers so if they the trigger pull weight is lowered by the customer from the sealed factory setting it will be evident in case any lawsuit arises over the trigger.

Next week if I get a calm morning I'll shoot at 200 yards to do a final zero.

Eric B.

We are using a Boyd's prairie hunter laminate on our r.a.p. in creed. with a stock trigger and a Yankee Hill brake on the business end... Stock trigger... Shoots great with 143 eld-x and 4350...

Boyds stocks are great! All my custom bolt rifles are in Boyds stocks, and I'm getting ready to bed one right now. Excellent stocks for the money. And yes, each one except for my brush gun for bear are bedded.

Dosh,

-> I did epoxy in the two V blocks supplied by Boyd's but when I tried to pillar bed them (because they were shorter than the "Y" blocks in the Ruger plastic stock my gunsmith said there was not enough room for the pillars so I went with stainless steel washers to spread out the compression on the laminated stock.

-> Also I bought a Savage 110 metal trigger guard from Brownells (it's the exact fit and shape of the el cheapo plastic trigger guard supplied by Boyds but looks and feels much better.

-> Finally, I removed the sling swivel studs and drilled holes for flush mount cups B/C I trust them much more than sling swivels by say. Uncle Mike's. I had to dish out the rear cup mount location a bit with a Dremel sanding drum so the cup would fit flush all the way around. I coated the sanded out area with a bit of Valspar exterior polyurethane.

My sling is a Magpul modular sling.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.