Timney trigger issiues

birddog67

I put in a timney 510 trigger in my 700 . 308 last January .
started having problems last weekend with the bolt not resetting after snapping the trigger . so I removed the action from the stock and just cleaned with lighter fluid , have looked on the web for videos on adjusting , not being able to find much on their web site . any suggestions .

the pull weight seams fine around 2.5 pounds . could their be problems with my bolt ?

I have called timney waiting for a call back .

I have had more bad timney triggers than good ones. the problem is in the trigger assembly it needs sent back, preferably for a refund so you can put that money toward a jewell. Or you can gamble on another Timney. I have only 1 timney now and its very very good. That is the only reason I still own it.

I have had only one Timney, a customized 1908 Mauser in 7X57. Worked flawlessly. Having said that, I now have 4 Jewell's on my other 700's. IMO Jewell sets the standard.

Well I called timney and tech told me to back the rear sear screw out ,did that didn't work !

Fixing to send it back !

Would anything else cause my bolt not to cock after racking it ?

Or the trigger resets the bolt each time you rack it ?

I'd try to increase the pull weight just a little. Timney's are easy to adjust. If that doesn't work then yeah, send it back for inspection.

Regarding the Jewell, I've only had one on an AR and it was very nice. I now have two Timney's on a couple bolt rifles and no problems with either of them functionally. Had some rust on one after the rifle was in the rain for an entire weekend, but that could almost be expected. Timney cleaned it up, no charge. Do some research and you'll find people who have their Jewells in very dirty conditions start having problems. This problem has many competition shooters no longer favoring the Jewell. The Timney on my match rifle has seen rain (followed by some rust), sleet, and lots of dirt. Again, other than the rust, no problems thus far for over a year. Not trying to knock the Jewell, but it isn't the end all of triggers. Timney may not be either.

Good luck with your problem, hope you get it working again.

Geb

I have a Timney in my sporterized Remington US Model of 1917. When I first installed it the sear would let go on closing(it's cock on close) every 15 or so times. Obviously not good. Upon reading I found the front screw that holds the trigger to the action has to be super tight. I thought I had tightened it plenty but I pulled it apart and sure enough, it had a little bit farther I could tighten it. I felt like I was going to twist the screw head off but it worked.1300+ shots later and many additional times of cycling the bolt and never another problem. Your and my triggers may be dissimilar to the point this isn't the problem but who knows? God Bless and good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.