Accuracy with my 308

target308

I have a ruger 308 M77 not a mark II. I've been shooting 1/2 inch groups on average at 100 yards with factory ammo. I would like to get a better group than that. Im also looking at longer shots with accuracy. I was hopeing for some tips on reloading or any other ideas you might have to help me reach these shots. Any ideas will help. Thank you for your ideas.

For accuracy in reloading, most people will use about 43-44 grains of Varget with a Fed 210 GM primer and a 175 SMK. This wiill get you about 2600 fps which will keep you supersonic to 1K.

If you are getting 0.5 MOA with factory loads I do not know if you are going to see a lot of improvement.

If you want to try shooting further I would make one suggestion...Do it!1/2 MOA is promising for further testing for long range accuracy. I would always recomend handloading as this, along with trigger tunning are often the biggest improvments for the least amount of money. Some of my 308 pet loads are 42gr Varget behind 175 SMK (I usually use Lapua brass, and remington 9 1/2 primers), 42.8gr 4064 with 168gr A-max, 45gr Varget with 155gr Lapua Scenar (*this is a max load), I also like the Berger 185 VLD (try it with 42+gr of 4064). When testing these or other loads in your rife always start low and work up. All of these loads are capable of consistantly shooting eggs at 500yds, and busting clay pigeons over 700yds. I have no experience with rugers, but that rifle sounds like it has some long range potential especially if you can develop some accurate handloads for it. Have fun. Here's a link to a thread discussing 308 bullets http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f26/bullets-308-win-27236/

I shoot clover leafs with mine at 100 and 1/2" at 200 if I keep it clean. After about 6 shots accuracy starts to fade if I don't clean it groups stay around 3/4"-1" at 100 and 1-1/2"-2" at 200. My load is 42gr. varget and 168 Sierra BTHP seated .010 from the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.