Hammer bullets in 308 win and 30-06

Yes, that's what I read and my experience with Hammers too. Not sure why I'm 250 fps slower with 4 inches less barrel. I should be closer to 120 fps slower max. My Varget must be too old. I'm gonna open a new can and check it again.
It's your barrel length, if you want more velocity you at least a 22 to 24 inch barrel if you re barrel I'd get 1in 9 twist.

It's not my barrel length. I'm shooting 168 grain eld-m at 2644 fps. 20" compact is what I want and there's no sense in getting a 1:9 twist for a short barreled 308. I'm never gonna shoot bullets over 180 grains. Its my powder. I tried some imr 4320 yesterday and got 2769 with the same 152 HH. My Varget went south on me. Back to the lab I go with a new can of Varget.

It's not my barrel length. I'm shooting 168 grain eld-m at 2644 fps. 20" compact is what I want and there's no sense in getting a 1:9 twist for a short barreled 308. I'm never gonna shoot bullets over 180 grains. Its my powder. I tried some imr 4320 yesterday and got 2769 with the same 152 HH. My Varget went south on me. Back to the lab I go with a new can of Varget.
Varget will pep her up a might

Try CFE 223 worked very well for me

22" barrel on the Tikka. 45.5 grs of varget is what I'm using. 210m primers, Lapua brass. Hodgdons shows 46.5 as max with a 150 gr bullet and varget in a 24" barrel making 2914 and 2937. From my experience hammers run faster with the same powder charge as lead core bullets and can usually take a touch more powder before pressure
I loaded the 151 AHs in my 20" Tikka 308 CTR and got 2717 with 46.5 gr Varget. This is slower than the 155 Lapua Scenars, they run at 2760 with the same load. Not sure what powder would yield better velocity for the AH, supposedly they should be faster.

Last edited:
What have you seen with Benchmark?
47 grains Benchmark is giving me 2948 fps. But 48 is over pressure. I haven't played with COAL to fine tune the groups but it's fast with the AH. Lapua brass, Fed 210 M gold primers and .002 neck tension. I'm still experimenting and testing so I'm not ready to publish my results quite yet.

Yes, that's what I read and my experience with Hammers too. Not sure why I'm 250 fps slower with 4 inches less barrel. I should be closer to 120 fps slower max. My Varget must be too old. I'm gonna open a new can and check it again.
Used to be bout fifty per second per inch, but they do with the powders we have now not so much

I'm getting 3025 fps with Benchmark and the 162 gr Absolute Hammers in my 30-06 (22" factory Savage) Accuracy is a little less than 0.5" moa. ES is single digit, too.
Thanks for the input. I have gotten 100gr 6mm bullets from Hammer, but don't have the rifle to shoot them yet. I have looked them over and so far very impressed with the shape, and design of them. I feel they will work very good. I feel that the chamber pressure will be down with their bullet. I normally shot 165gr Nosler accubond in my 308 N. Mag., and 200gr in my 338 W Mag. Both bullets have reformed good for me in taking deer, elk, and Africa game with them. Grouping has been excellent too. I am producing 3200 to 3300 fps with both those rounds. Again bullet placement is the key to putting an animal down. I track and animal if, I think I may have hit the animal or missed if I can watch them run off. Neither of my rifles are set up to push all copper bullets down the tube. I need a faster twist I believe to use all copper bullets. The 6mm will have a 7-1 twist rate.