30-06 over 308

Please let us know how that Superformance development goes, as there is so little published data out there.

Sorry for my apparent snarkiness ealier, my Nuggets were losing at the time. I believe in gamechangers although rare but I'll have a look into the new Hammers. cheers
We're all crotchety sometimes, unless you're like me and a disgruntled Vet. I'm just crotchety and opinionated only 24/7. But you didn't need to apologize. Hope they did better as the game wore on.

I think all us vets a bit crotchety. My opinion. Ha.
I guess I'm mostly an 06 guy, because we have been able to play with this thing to no end. It is so consistent. Accuracy is so easy, the fact is, it is boring because it is so perfectly predictable. It is really reliable.

338/06 wouldn't be a bad choice. 225 grain bullet at 2600fps is very elk capable!
I like the 338-06. I wanted one for years. Then I bought a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen. It puts a 250 grain Speer downrange at 2675fps and develops around 4,000ftlbs. Now I have a custom built Remington with a Magpul stock, 26 inch ER Shaw 1 in 14 inch twist barrel and a Shepherd P2 3X10 scope to go with the CDL, and it shoots inside an inch with 5 shots. The Speer 250 goes downrange at 2730fps. Recoil is a little stout. Of course, you can't find ammo for either round anyplace.

I guess I'm mostly an 06 guy, because we have been able to play with this thing to no end. It is so consistent. Accuracy is so easy, the fact is, it is boring because it is so perfectly predictable. It is really reliable.
I am too. If I had to go with just one rifle, it would probably be the 30-06.

I like the 338-06. I wanted one for years. Then I bought a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen. It puts a 250 grain Speer downrange at 2675fps and develops around 4,000ftlbs. Now I have a custom built Remington with a Magpul stock, 26 inch ER Shaw 1 in 14 inch twist barrel and a Shepherd P2 3X10 scope to go with the CDL, and it shoots inside an inch with 5 shots. The Speer 250 goes downrange at 2730fps. Recoil is a little stout. Of course, you can't find ammo for either round anyplace.
Contemplating 33806 my self. Been so for years.

I'm surprised it hasn't been commercially fielded by Ruger or Remington. Its a great round, and can push a 225 grain bullet right at 2700fps. I'd love to see someone bring it out in a 24" barrel, maybe as an Ackley Improved version, which would add around 75fps to the 225 grain bullet. Speer has the A Square launching a 200 grain bullet at nearly 2800fps. Either load would do for elk at 6 or 700 yards.

I'm surprised it hasn't been commercially fielded by Ruger or Remington. Its a great round, and can push a 225 grain bullet right at 2700fps. I'd love to see someone bring it out in a 24" barrel, maybe as an Ackley Improved version, which would add around 75fps to the 225 grain bullet. Speer has the A Square launching a 200 grain bullet at nearly 2800fps. Either load would do for elk at 6 or 700 yards.
I'd love that to happen. I'd be on it.

Was that the range by Manhattan ? Spent a couple of months there in the 70"s.
The range is the Personally Owned Weapon range on Fort Riley. It is Military and military Retired only. There were two of them. one was a 300 meter range and one was a 1000yard range. I left there in 2010, and don't know if the long range is still operating.

I have two 30-06's and three 308's, I like both calibers. If I had to choose one caliber for what you want to do, I would lean toward the 30-06. I have a Cooper model 52 in 30-06, that groups 1/2 in with 165 gr Hornadys and 4350. When it came time to pick a semi-custom rifle in any caliber I wanted, I picked the Cooper in 30-06 for the same reasons that has already been mentioned, versatile, accurate, ammo availability, etc.
You can't go wrong with a good 30-06 and good optics. I saw a friend of mine nail an antelope in Wyoming at 565 yards while it was quartering away, walking. He used an old pre-64 model 70 and a Zeiss 3x9 scope. I would have preferred more scope at that range, but it did the job. A few days later, I saw my friend nail a monster elk in Idaho with that same gun. I like that versatility! Good luck.

I have two 30-06's and three 308's, I like both calibers. If I had to choose one caliber for what you want to do, I would lean toward the 30-06. I have a Cooper model 52 in 30-06, that groups 1/2 in with 165 gr Hornadys and 4350. When it came time to pick a semi-custom rifle in any caliber I wanted, I picked the Cooper in 30-06 for the same reasons that has already been mentioned, versatile, accurate, ammo availability, etc.
You can't go wrong with a good 30-06 and good optics. I saw a friend of mine nail an antelope in Wyoming at 565 yards while it was quartering away, walking. He used an old pre-64 model 70 and a Zeiss 3x9 scope. I would have preferred more scope at that range, but it did the job. A few days later, I saw my friend nail a monster elk in Idaho with that same gun. I like that versatility! Good luck.
I shot two antelope last fall with the -06. I used an 03-a3 for the first one(it needed to be fed) and my Ruger for the other. The load was a 200 grain Sierra at 2650fps and 2610fps respectively. Range was just over 200 yards for both animals. The year before, I killed a nice buck antelope at 325 yards with the Ruger.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.