H-1000 & Retumbo -REPLACEMENTS

Check Hodgdon's website.I was able to buy some Ramshot Hunter yesterday.The do have a 5lb limit,but 5lbs is better than nothing.Their available powders is always changing so check often.

Use to use Retumbo in my 338 Allen Xpress (improved 338 Lapua case) under 300gr Sierra HPBT but switched to RL 33 @ 104.2grs it launches 300gr Bergers @ 2972fps. I have had it up to 106grs @ 3049 fps that's at sea level in hot, humid Florida. I'm in NE FL and your in GA and I have a pound of Retumbo if you make it into the area. You can have for 30 bucks....about I guess what I paid for it.

Since H-1000 and Retumbo are almost unobtainable and we are hoping that they will come back into the market soon. These two poders are prefered and used in Shooting 338 LMAI with good results. Our 338LMAI was scheduled for 2023, but we may build earlier. With all that has happened in the past year (s) going back several administrators and the shortage of powder, we are just trying to get powder for future builds. We are optimistic that things will get better as time goes on, but if it stays the same or start going south, what ARE the MOST COMPAIRABLE POWDERS to H-1000 & RETUMBRO? I have all the burn rate charts for comparison, but we wanted first hand knowledge of other named/numbered powders that resembles H-1000 & Retumbo as close as possible. That way we can purchase other powders when available.
Thanks much for all input from everyone, but we really need reloaders/shooters that have the first hand knowledge with comparisons. This will help Jill and I out as well as the members on LRH.
Len & Jill
I'm running into the same issue with 6.5 SAUM build. I ended up buying IMR 7828ssc, Ramshot Magnum and Ramshot LRT. In Gordon's reloading tool, Magnum has an almost identical FPS as H1000 and Retumbo in the 6.5 SAUM. I grabbed some LRT as well because I've read it falls between 8133 and RL33. However, you should know it was designed for the 338 LM and may work well for your build. Here is a screenshot of Ramshot's load data for the non AI LM.

Attachments

• 39819FE4-5139-4256-8BF9-18A82D6130C5.png
    39819FE4-5139-4256-8BF9-18A82D6130C5.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 75
Since H-1000 and Retumbo are almost unobtainable and we are hoping that they will come back into the market soon. These two poders are prefered and used in Shooting 338 LMAI with good results. Our 338LMAI was scheduled for 2023, but we may build earlier. With all that has happened in the past year (s) going back several administrators and the shortage of powder, we are just trying to get powder for future builds. We are optimistic that things will get better as time goes on, but if it stays the same or start going south, what ARE the MOST COMPAIRABLE POWDERS to H-1000 & RETUMBRO? I have all the burn rate charts for comparison, but we wanted first hand knowledge of other named/numbered powders that resembles H-1000 & Retumbo as close as possible. That way we can purchase other powders when available.
Thanks much for all input from everyone, but we really need reloaders/shooters that have the first hand knowledge with comparisons. This will help Jill and I out as well as the members on LRH.
Len & Jill
Reloader 22 might be an option , use it in my 30 cal. Lazz . Warbird . Do you ever travel I-10 going west? If so let me know , I know some one in Gulfport , Mississippi and Lucedale , Mississippi that might be able to help you out , but neither ship .
Floyd

I'm running into the same issue with 6.5 SAUM build. I ended up buying IMR 7828ssc, Ramshot Magnum and Ramshot LRT. In Gordon's reloading tool, Magnum has an almost identical FPS as H1000 and Retumbo in the 6.5 SAUM. I grabbed some LRT as well because I've read it falls between 8133 and RL33. However, you should know it was designed for the 338 LM and may work well for your build. Here is a screenshot of Ramshot's load data for the non AI
GAP recommends H1000 as the best driver in the SAUM wildcats. I run a 6.5 GAP 4S and H1000 give the best results when combining small groups with FPS and pressure data - bought IMR 7977 as a back up to H1000

I'm running into the same issue with 6.5 SAUM build. I ended up buying IMR 7828ssc, Ramshot Magnum and Ramshot LRT. In Gordon's reloading tool, Magnum has an almost identical FPS as H1000 and Retumbo in the 6.5 SAUM. I grabbed some LRT as well because I've read it falls between 8133 and RL33. However, you should know it was designed for the 338 LM and may work well for your build. Here is a screenshot of Ramshot's load data for the non AI LM.
I forgot to add I've seen LRT for sale on Hodgdon's site a few times recently, and it shows available today.

GAP recommends H1000 as the best driver in the SAUM wildcats. I run a 6.5 GAP 4S and H1000 give the best results when combining small groups with FPS and pressure data - bought IMR 7977 as a back up to H1000
I understand that. I've been all over the 6.5 groups FB page looking up load data. However, I only have 1lb of H1000 and haven't been lucky enough to find anymore recently at a reasonable price, which led to my search. Gordon's Tool is awesome for looking into other powders.

I did find H1000 for sale at a shop nearby last week with a price of $77/lb which is too rich for me at this time, especially when I may achieve similar results with these other powders.

Thanks much all and still looking for advice. I know a lot of powders will work, BUT which is the most close. For example I have say a 260. I can go onto the Hogdon site and look up powders to shoot and work in the 260 with a variety of weights for bullets. I'll get probably 20 different brands and #s. of powder, but the majority of us use H-4350 in a .260
We are trying to look for actuall shooters changing from H1000 or Retumbo to another Brand and #. Sounds like N570
Thanks again
Look at RL33 for your 338 Lapua. It was designed specifically for the Lapua.

Here's another 338 Allen Xpress shooter. I tried several powders during load development. I ended up with the same load as Chas1 above: 300 gr. Berger EOL over 104.0 gr. of RL33. It gave me the best in terms of velocity and consistency.

Alliant Reloder 33 was designed for 338 mags. I've had great luck with it in my 300 RUM. Naturally also very hard to get these days.

Recent Posts