Guys lets talk. POWER POWER POWER in the short action rifle

Well according to matrix there .277" cal 165grn vld has a BC of .738, so the combo I posted of the 270x7mm wsm improved will have 3870ftlbs of energy at the muzzle with 1544 remaining at 1000yrds and will stay transonic to 2000yrds with 503ftlbs remaining.

I dont know what either of them are, but I"m assuming we can get more foot pounds out of larger diamiter bullets.

I just read the whole thread over, as it was more than a year old. I guess what I was looking at when I first started the thread was a SA round that would operate as a repeter. I chose the WSM bolt face as thats what I had, however I would not be apposed to thinking outside the box. Like using a .585 bolt face and basing the round off of a 338 lapua or 470 nitro something like that, again just throwing out ideas.

How about the 7mm Fatso?......Rich

I bet a 6.5 RUM would be a scorcher. With a 130 Scirocco it would be a true screamer.
With the 142 smk you would also be running them very fast.
Then there are the Carteruccios and maybe some new Wildcat bullets.
Not sure how long you can nurse the barrel along, but it would be a flat shooting cartridge with lots of energy.

remembering what Ackley had to say about the 6.5 Rem mag, I got a big smile
gary

Just to restate my orginal intent guys. I am not looking to chamber LA rounds in a SA! I am asking or opening for debate your ideas on how to get the most powerful SA based round we can for LR hunting.

Lets set a guideline. the rifle will operate as a repeter just for the reason of keeping the topic on SA length rounds.

well just a thought, and probably not a long range round as well, but with enough power to work on 98% of the stuff encountered in N. America; look no further than a .458 American. I think there's also a 2 inch .375 version of this round, and a .338 or .358 is quite doable
gary

Well according to matrix there .277" cal 165grn vld has a BC of .738, so the combo I posted of the 270x7mm wsm improved will have 3870ftlbs of energy at the muzzle with 1544 remaining at 1000yrds and will stay transonic to 2000yrds with 503ftlbs remaining.
the 169.5 wildcat has a little higher bc than the matrix but not much
1544 lbs will put an elk or moose down. Goodgrouper did some testing on elk shoulder bone and told me 800 lbs will break the shoulder bone.

The Fatso would be awesome if one didn't have to use so many steps in forming the brass. But when your really breaking FAR away from tradition, what other choice does one have?

Well by all means allow me to add to the conundrum.

How about starting with a 300 SAUM case, neck it to .338, then blow the shoulder out enough to add another 15-20 grains of powder?

In theory, this would be pretty easy to do. Probably not THE most energy-packed possibility that's been discussed, but certainly a feasible heavy hitter.

Well by all means allow me to add to the conundrum.

How about starting with a 300 SAUM case, neck it to .338, then blow the shoulder out enough to add another 15-20 grains of powder?

In theory, this would be pretty easy to do. Probably not THE most energy-packed possibility that's been discussed, but certainly a feasible heavy hitter.

Not to be arguementive but if you blew the shoulder forward enough for a 15-20 gr. increase you would have a straight wall case(somewhat like a 50 S&W......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.