Guys lets talk. POWER POWER POWER in the short action rifle

7 Fatso is still my favorite. The Norma case definitely makes it worth a try. The Norma is about 3/8" shorter than the Lapua so it'll still need to be shortened. Only a trial will tell if it's worthwhile or if you need to thin the brass.

The article said the 7 Fatso gave 7 STW ballistics in a short action so you know what's possible in that caliber. Caliber would be a something to consider. How close you could come to the 340 Weatherby in that short action I have no idea. I bet you'd be close!

I like a long action so I'm going with the .270 Norma and a full length case. It's gonna be fun... :D

What the biggest bolt face we can get in a SA chambering?

In a factory bolt, I would think it would be the short mag (.550")? That doesn't mean a smith couldn't open it up though as long as there was enough meat in the receiver to handle a larger case.......Rich
p.s. Actually the rim is rebated and is only .535"

Why does one want a powerful short action cartridge? Isn't that kind of like wanting a jumbo micro chip?

Talk to Devin at Sinarms about the 338 SIN. Near 338 RUM performance in a short action that will fit on your bolt face. mine shoots great and has made +800 yard shots effectively on game.

It will work as a repeater on '06 length actions. It does not need the long wby mag length action however it is better with that. The 225 AB will shoot well as a repeater and easily give long range capability. A short 308 length action, no.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.