Gun "Wore Out"....????

Sapphire

Alright, in about 67' my dad had an old springfield sporterized. It was a sweet shooting gun, custom barrel and beautiful custom stock, great trigger.... My dad shot many thousands of rounds through it... well... maybe 15 yrs ago he had it to a smith to boresight a scope and the smith looked at it and said, "this gun isn't safet to shoot anymore, this gun is "wore out"... And he put the gun away...

I dont think my dad knows too much about gun building and such, nor do I, but now I am questioning this gun being "wore out"... isn't it most likely that the chamber or barrel is shot out and a new barrel would pretty much solve the whole issue? Or are there other parts, like the bolt face and such that could wear out? What about the action? Can it become fatigued or something?? Its a 30-06...

Thanks for any info. I love the gun too, as I grew up coveting it and watching my dad kill chit loads of stuff with it.... I'd LOVE to get it rebarreled and have a shooter again....

THanks

I would have a competent gun smith evaluate the rifle. It could very well be done but to me it would be worth another look. Might be more valuable just to hang on a wall and let it churn up past memories.

I've never owned one or been interested, so I don't have an opinion one way or the other. It seems some controversy exists regarding the heat treatment of the actions in some serial number ranges. I don't recall anymore about it, but that might give you a direction to look. I think the NRA did an article or 2 a couple of decades ago, and they've answered a question or 2 for me in the past. Good Luck!

It can almost certainly be rebuilt. But, at what cost? And, what's it worth afterwards?

Like kcebcj said, have a competent smith look it over and give you a price.

You may decide that your money's better spent on a new shooter and hang that one on the wall.

My father inlaw has some neat old guns also, some are custom. He is in his mid 80's. One is a 300 Apex or something like that, most are not shot out , but my brother inlaw got a 7mm from him and had a few years out of it . Then it needed a barrel, no big deal and it is cool having a rifle with some history. I would have a smith check it

Alright, in about 67' my dad had an old springfield sporterized. It was a sweet shooting gun, custom barrel and beautiful custom stock, great trigger.... My dad shot many thousands of rounds through it... well... maybe 15 yrs ago he had it to a smith to boresight a scope and the smith looked at it and said, "this gun isn't safet to shoot anymore, this gun is "wore out"... And he put the gun away...

I dont think my dad knows too much about gun building and such, nor do I, but now I am questioning this gun being "wore out"... isn't it most likely that the chamber or barrel is shot out and a new barrel would pretty much solve the whole issue? Or are there other parts, like the bolt face and such that could wear out? What about the action? Can it become fatigued or something?? Its a 30-06...

Thanks for any info. I love the gun too, as I grew up coveting it and watching my dad kill chit loads of stuff with it.... I'd LOVE to get it rebarreled and have a shooter again....

THanks

As suggested, Have a competent gunsmith look at it but do not tell him you want to re barrel it,
just that you want him to check it out because it is an old rifle and you just want to be sure that
it is OK. (Later you can make the decision to re-barrel if needed).

Clean the bore back to bare metal before you take it to the smith so he can have a good look
at it.

It is very unusual for a hunting rifle to be worn out unless it was not cleaned and cared for, then pitting and wear can be accelerated.

After a good evaluation,If it is safe then go out and shoot it to see how it performs. If it it not
up to your standards then have it blueprinted and a new barrel installed in a fresh bedding job.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.