Guidance/Suggestions on two WSM A-BOLTS

If you want to re-barrel both of them to get a larger bore than 300 you could do a 325 WSM. I rally like mine, I can shoot the 220s, but I choose to shoot the 200gr AccuBonds and Partitions our of mine. It's a real shooter and the COAL limits of the A-Bolt don't come into play too much. In my 7mm WSM however, I feel like I'm stuffing the bullet so far in the case with the 162gr ELD-X. Going to something like a 6.5 SAUM or the like might be beneficial. Personally, I'm not changing the cartridges in my A-Bolts, since I have the 243 WSSM, 7mm WSM, and 325 WSM (6,7, and 8mm that's just fun in matching rifles). I have the Timney springs in all of mine and the triggers feel great. I have talked to Carbon6 and they did say that they could make me pre-fits for the rifles. If you find a good carbon stock for the A-Bolt I'd be interested in knowing where, maybe Stocky's?
Thank you, good info. McMillan got back to me and they say that I can buy one of their stocks but will have to have it inletted by someone. I am sure that'll add to my cost so I am considering selling them and buying something else.

Thank you, good info. McMillan got back to me and they say that I can buy one of their stocks but will have to have it inletted by someone. I am sure that'll add to my cost so I am considering selling them and buying something else.
What A-Bolts are they? Mine are all Stainless Stalkers. I love the rifle and the cartridge but my 7mm WSM has the BOSS and I'm not a huge fan of that. This is why I've looked into retelling it. Plus with the brake it's makes it a pretty short barrel and I've noticed velocity suffers. I'd be willing to buy another one.

I also looked at McMillan and it'd probably end up being $1k for a stock to do all of the custom work (if not more). Wasn't worth it to me. I got a second hand B&C and I don't hate it.

I know that stockys will inlet one of their stocks for an abolt. They only have one wood stock they produce in that pattern, so not an ultralight or a carbon or anything. But, that might be an option to look at. And maybe they would inlet someone else's stock for a fee? I've never asked them that.

I know that stockys will inlet one of their stocks for an abolt. They only have one wood stock they produce in that pattern, so not an ultralight or a carbon or anything. But, that might be an option to look at. And maybe they would inlet someone else's stock for a fee? I've never asked them that.
Do you mean that they can/will inlet one of their carbon stocks? Or just that they have the wood one?

Do you mean that they can/will inlet one of their carbon stocks? Or just that they have the wood one?
Using their stock finder, only one wooden stock is offered for a browning a bolt. So they have the capability to inlet that action, but they likely don't sell enough of them to offer more options. It might be worth a call to them to see if they would be willing to build you a custom stock with that inlet.

Boyd's will also do an a bolt. They're only wood stocks, but they offer a variety of options.

Using their stock finder, only one wooden stock is offered for a browning a bolt. So they have the capability to inlet that action, but they likely don't sell enough of them to offer more options. It might be worth a call to them to see if they would be willing to build you a custom stock with that inlet.

Boyd's will also do an a bolt. They're only wood stocks, but they offer a variety of options.

I'd really like a good carbon stock. I'm not a huge fan of wood stocks. I have a Bell and Carlson on one of them. It might be worth a call I know I could probably always by a stock that has no inlet too and get that done.

What A-Bolts are they? Mine are all Stainless Stalkers. I love the rifle and the cartridge but my 7mm WSM has the BOSS and I'm not a huge fan of that. This is why I've looked into retelling it. Plus with the brake it's makes it a pretty short barrel and I've noticed velocity suffers. I'd be willing to buy another one.

I also looked at McMillan and it'd probably end up being $1k for a stock to do all of the custom work (if not more). Wasn't worth it to me. I got a second hand B&C and I don't hate it.
Mine do not have the BOSS my 7mm WSM maybe has 60 rounds through it in all of these years.

I looked at those, and they do seem to be drop in for ABolt👍 As a western hunter though I am concerned about the weight.

I have one of the Boyd's and it is a beautiful stock and shoots incredible compared to the plastic stock that came on it, Heritage Nutmeg. I actually like the few extra ounces from the wood stock because it is much more stable to shoot from my point of view. I shoot heavier guns more accurately than the super ultralight ones but everyone has their own preferences.

Actually that is my backup plan if customizing these got too expensive. I love the Browning action and 60 deg throw, any suggestions on a rifle or action to build a switch barrel on?
There are many options available based on how you want to do it.
I use actions with guaranteed headspace. Order the barrels I want with specd out the way I want. Then I have a barrel vise here at my house and an action wrench. Torque the barrel down I want to use and off I go.
Current setups
Defiance Anti action two barrels
Xlr magnesium chassis
223 for practice and prairie dogs
25SST for hunting.
For this setup I have two bolts. You could do this with a Big Horn TL3 easier and not have to own two bolts but you will gain weight.
Second switch is a falkor defense LW7 action
Xlr chassis
6 Creedmoor barrel
223 barrel
22-250 barrel
Two bolts again on this setup
You can also easily use a WTO switch lug or Gunwerks has their new method as well.

One issue with Browning wsm's with long bullets is with the action/receiver itself. If a round is seated too long it will not be able to eject, it will hit the receiver and only way to eject the round is to hit the bolt release and pull the whole bolt out. You can have a custom barrel throated for heavies but your limit will be the shortened receiver/action.

Last edited:

I'll take your boss'd barrel if you ever decide to rebarrel, been trying to get my hands on one of those boss'd Brownings for a while.