any suggestions about a 300 wsm

awesfall

what gun would someone recomend if i want a fast bullet, knock down power, and be able to reach a 1000 yds no problem????

I was thinking about a 300 wsm remington 700 but am not sure...
because i have heard that there barrel life is not that great.

if i did dose anyone know what kind of powder they take

ANY SUGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL.

Just my .02 but shooting at 1K is a huge challenge. The Remington 700 is a marginal platform at best to reliability put the round into a kill zone in 100% PERFECT CONDITIONS. What this means to you is that your shooting skills must be on par with the best which includes the all important rest and how that will affect the where the bullet goes but most and foremost is being able to judge the condition. 99 out of 100 people are shocked when they see what misjudging the speed and direction of a 4 to 8mph wind will do to the POI. The BR sport teaches you a lot esp. about condition and how to judge it.

I know this is not what you want to hear but reading hunting magazines and watching hunting shows will not make you a better marksman. Getting out, practicing using the proper equipment and technique will, and of course gaining knowledge by select individuals who post here. Good luck but it sounds like you need to get out and actually wear some barrels out----try it---sure is fun!

First, welcome to Long Range Hunting Forums :)

Next... I have a 300 WSM and I consider it to be about an 800-900 yd hunting cartridge at best, depending on load, elevation etc. I say this because the down range velocity (approx 1800 fps) required to open most bullets along with the momentum to ensure adequate penetration is reached at these ranges. Beyond that it is questionable as to whetehr or not your bullet will do the job. As for barrel life, the 300 WSM is a great choice. i dont have the refference and maybe someone else does, but a BR contest was won with a 300 WSM with 4000 plus rounds down the bore. I think the 300 WSM is a great cartridge and if you want to limit yourself to 800-900 yds on deer and elk type game, it's a good pick. However, to get to say 900 yds, you need a good rifle and and good loads. IMO most factory rifles and factory ammo will not get you there. Precision is critical. For a factory 300 WSM, I would recomment a Sub MOA VanGuard, they are very good rifles made by howa and have very good stocks. If you want to shoot at ranges beyong 500 yds, you should look at handloading if you are not already a handloader. It is critical to get consistant performance from shot to shot.

I think the best out of the box rifle and cartrdge(s) for 1K hunting would be the Remington Sendero in 300 RUM or 7mm RUM. These cartrideges will have a lot less barrrel life than the 300 WSM but they have better range and the Sendero has a great rep for accuracy. You can expect about 1000 shot barrel life. If you shoot 200-300 rounds initially for load development and practice then another 50 rounds a year, you have a 10+ year barrel, and when it burns out, you have a great platform for a rebarrel/build. If I where in the market for a Sendero (already have one) I would look for a good used one of the original SF's because I dont care for the new SFII wide beavertail stock and fat palm swell. The Sendero is a stout rifle wieghing 8 1/2 lbs.

As Boss Hoss mentioned, there is a lot to shooting 1K, but it's not undoable.

Good shooting,

-MR

300WSM is a great cartridge. H4350 works well with 180gr and heavier bullets. Varget works great at 165gr and less. My Savage is a sub 1/2moa performer and can reach 800yds very easily.

Welcome to the site.

AJ

awesfall,
The .300WSM is a fine round. My experience with this cartridge is limited but there are other's out there just as and more capable than it. The specific rifle really comes down to what appeals to you and what your wallet allows. I gravitate toward heavy barrel rifles. That's really all I look for when I go into a gunshop. These usually make accurate shooters. Not everyone likes those type barrels due to weight.
I wouldn't worry about barrel life just yet. Ya gotta get the rifle first and then shoot it alot to get to that concern. A 1000 rounds through one barrel is a lot of shooting. Most people do not shoot that much and never shoot out their barrel.
How much shooting and reloading experience do you have? As for powder(s); I got great accuracy using RL22. There are so many powders and it depends on what you're wanting to do with what bullet. Give us some more info. JohnnyK.

I have a 300WSM in a Savage Low Profile Mod 12. It is a 26" heavy barrel and should do the trick. I have a muzzle break to lessen the recoil because I shoot heavy pills. For the range you want to be able to hunt and reach, custom barrel and a 210 Berger or 208 A-Max should work good. Another bullet to consider is the JLK. Their 210 VLD long boat tail has a BC 0f .690. Using ballists calculator it actually figured close to .700.

You should really consider these heavier bullets to perform at distance. Some guys will say lighter, faster, is better,but it comes down to retaining speed and energy when you get out there. With these bullets I have listed according to ballistics programs I have used should get you to 800 for elk and around 1200 for whitetails. My velocity in my 26" is right around 2800 avg with about a 30 fps ES. This is going with the theory of 1500 ft lbs for elk and 1000 ft lbs for whitetails. Have fun figuring this all out. I am still learning. I've been heavily engrossed in research with caliber and balistics for about 2 years now. This sight is a great information source. I would suggest 6mmbr.com.

The 7wsm or 7mm Rem Mag. would also be some calibers to consider if you don't want to shoot powder burners. These are mildest calibers and barrel life is half of the 300wsm, but with the high BC 180 and 168 bullets available, these would also be viable for your consideration. The 7's are really making a come back and the recoil is much less.

Last edited:
gun)As of right now i have a 30 06 savage model 110 it was a gift.

I am not yet reloading but working in all the supply's right now and should have everything to start to reload in a month. and have my step dad to teach me i have done alt of looking into this gun and think it is my number one choice... i was also wondering if any one has any suggestions on a make and model? i was hoping on something under or around 1k .

As for my shooting ablity i can put 5 bullets in a 3-4 inch spread at 500 with my father in laws 308 i have not yet had the chance to go further... YET

If I was going to by an out of the box 300 WSM, I would get the Stainless Sub MOA Vanguard.

Vanguard® Sub-MOA Stainless | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com

It has a good pillar bedded stock and the barreled action is made by Howa and they make a great action. Any bases and rings that fit the Rem 700 will fit the Howa actions. It comes with a factory shot tartget and your likely to get a .75 MOA rifle or better and with some load work you might get it down to 1/2 MOA or better. You can get them on Gunbroker for about $860 plus shipping. Alocal dealer would probably sell it to you for about $900.

You could get a Tikka for a little less but they have a cheap stock.

-MR

I'm a savage guy, so my choice would be the Mod 12 Low Profile Varminter

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]12 Series Varmint[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model 12 Varminter Low Profile – with AccuTrigger[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Action[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Short[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Caliber[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]300 WSM [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overall Length [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]46.25"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barrel Length[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 lbs[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magazine Capacity [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 rounds[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stock[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dual pillar bedded,low profile, laminated stock with extra-wide beavertail forend[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sights[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drilled and tapped for scope mounts[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rifling Rate of Twist[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]300 WSM (1 in 10") [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Features[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AccuTrigger™, oversized bolt handle, stainless barreled action, heavy fluted, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, detachable box magazine and swivel studs.[/FONT]

This one gives you the added bonus of the AccuStock

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model 16FHSS – with AccuTrigger™, AccuStock[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and Hinged Floorplate[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]* Note: AccuStock™ included on 2009 or newer models only.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Action[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]300 WSM[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Overall Length [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]43.75" (300 WSM)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Barrel Length[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24" (300 WSM)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6.75 lbs (270 WSM, 300 WSM)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magazine [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Capacity [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 rounds (300 WSM)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stock[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Black synthetic AccuStock™with aluminum spine and three-dimensional bedding cradle.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sights[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drilled and tapped for scope mountsh[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rifling Rate of Twist[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]300 WSM[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Features[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AccuTrigger™, AccuStock™, stainless barreled action, free-floating and button-rifled barrel, new hinged floorplate, and swivel studs.[/FONT]

These would be my picks. I own two Savages and plan on buying more.:D

Last edited:
I took a look at all the guns and really am leaning towards the savage i am just not sure what model i would like to go with. i am not sure what the diffrence is between a 2 beaded and three is? and i am not sure what is better a wood stock or a syn. i want a to be dead on have a great action and trigger.

i think that link really helped. the only qustion i guess i really have left is which savage?

awesfall,

The laminate is a perfered material for bench shooters, except the guys that want the big heavy fiberglass stocks. The varmint model offers the laminate because it handles weather changes a little better than conventional straight wood stocks. It comes with a pillar in the rear and a pillar in the front giving you the standard mountings for best accuracy out of a box. The only thing that you could do to really improve and help with temp and humidity change is to glass bed the action. From experience with my rifle, the pillars do fine and my accuracy doesn't change from 30 degrees to 90 degrees with humidity. The only thing that I have to be aware of is my loads and powder sensitivity to temperature and humidity.

The varmint model would be the ideal set up if you plan on making the really long shots. It gives you a 26" heavy barrel that will offer the rigidity needed for stabilizing the heavier bullets for that long flight through the air. It will also help to keep the velocity up which is necessary for harder hits for ranges in that caliber past 700 yards.

The Mod. 16 is going to make a great mountain gun. Glass bedding isn't necessary with the new AccuStock design. It offers a full bedding system securing the action completely leaving the barrel free floating. They have already started putting it in their tatical models, and as time progresses I would imagine they will be putting them into their varminter series. With the 24" barrel will give you better manuverability through the brush and it comes in a lighter contour barrel making lighter by about 3 1/4 lbs. This will recoil more, but you could have a smith put a muzzle break on if the recoil is to much. For about $100's more they offer a model with an adjustable muzzle break. This allows you to have the break open with shooting at the range to tame recoil, and close it when you are hunting so you don't need ear protection. (You should always use ear protection when possible even in hunting situations) If works as well as my cousins did in 338 win mag. you won't have any recoil issues when you are on the bench.

The synthetic stock will give you the durability and ruggedness necessary for all weather conditions in the field. That is why tactical models have figerglass or some variation when being fielded. This material does not expand with temperature or humidity changes like wood will do. The only bad thing about Savage synthetics is they generally need upgraded. With the new AccuStock system that may not be the case anymore. If you can afford stainless steel that would be the way to go as well. Hope this helps in the decision making process!

Sorry to be so long winded:rolleyes:, but I wanted to try and explain it the best that I could.

Tank

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.